Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Manufacturer War (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   250 is the new 1000, the 2011 cbr250r. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=16939)

Dave 10-27-2010 06:42 PM

250 is the new 1000, the 2011 cbr250r.

fuel injected, liquid cooled, single with optional abs.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-co...p2-730x429.jpg

After almost 20 years of being absent in the USA 250cc sportbike market, American Honda is coming back with the aggressively styled liquid-cooled CBR250R and CBR250R ABS. Although pricing hasn’t been released, there are plenty of details that may make Kawasaki — makers of the outstanding $3999 Ninja 250R — nervous about its USA sales (which have been tremendous).

The new CBR is clearly aimed at the smallest Ninja. The motor is a 249cc, liquid-cooled, four-valve dual-overhead-cam Single, smoothed out and sophisticated with fuel-injection and a counterbalancer. The frame appears to be tubular steel, and the bodywork — love it or hate it — seems heavily influenced by the controversial new VFR1200. Wheels are 17-inchers, shod with radial tires (the back tire, a 140/70-17, is 10mm wider than the Ninja’s), and braking is handled with a two-piston caliper and 296mm disc in front. ABS is available. Seat height is .4 inches higher than the Ninja’s at 30.9 inches, but the seat looks very narrow at the front, negating that difference. Curb weight is a claimed 359 pounds, 15 pounds lighter than the 250R (add 9 pounds for ABS). Tank size is smaller than the Ninja’s 4.8 gallons at 3.4 gallons of dino-milk, but I’m guessing the FI Single might best the parallel-twin Ninja on range thanks to better fuel economy.

The theme in the moto-press for 2011 will be how the two bikes compare. It looks like the Honda will be a more nimble performer (both bikes have monoshock suspension and 37mm forks) thanks to its lighter weight and shorter 53.9-inch wheelbase. However, the motor could fall short in performance — it’s not the zesty, big-power mill out of the CRF250R motocrosser, but an all-new unit with lower compression and longer stroke, probably tuned for torque and newbie-friendliness. If the Ninja puts around 26 horsepower on the ground, expect the CBR to do somewhat less — although it may best it on torque.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-co...m2-730x520.jpg

But the main issue will be price. Honda usually prices its products at a slight premium over the competition, which means the base model could be $4500 or more and the ABS-equipped version could be over $5000. But will the sporty styling and Honda nameplate be enough to lure customers away from Kawasaki’s best-selling sportbike? Whatever the results, 2011 will be doubly interesting to small-displacement sportbike fans.

Funny thing is, I love surplus HP in a car (although I find that anything beyond 500 hp is essentially fucking worthless with only RWD), but I actually love small displacement bikes, and getting more out of less on two wheels. Smaller bikes react faster, and are actually more apt to bite you, and in many ways present more of a challenge to ride fast.

I'd probably love to flog the living shit out of that little thing.

The fucking exhaust (and back fender, for that matter) would be in the fucking garbage an hour after it came home, though. Ick.

dReWpY 10-27-2010 07:38 PM

Cliff notes:
is it coming here for sure?

Trip 10-27-2010 07:46 PM

I don't like the VFR look.

Porkchop 10-27-2010 08:51 PM

I love it... all of it.

But it would never be able to haul my fat ass around.

smileyman 10-27-2010 08:52 PM

I like it. Wonder if Kawi will bring it's Euro spec F.I.'d Ninja 250 to the fight? My wife is getting one or the other...So I can abuse it at the track!

Porkchop 10-27-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 420620)
I like it. Wonder if Kawi will bring it's Euro spec F.I.'d Ninja 250 to the fight? My wife is getting one or the other...So I can abuse it at the track!

I bet for damn sure for the 2012 year models they will. Unless they want to start losing sales. I saw more and more 250's sitting at dealers at the end of this year.

smileyman 10-27-2010 09:17 PM

Yeah, my wife tried on 4 diff colors last week. Decided on the red on black. With one extra cylinder, lower seat height, and easy pickin left over 10's, think I know what we will get.

Dave 10-27-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 420604)
Funny thing is, I love surplus HP in a car (although I find that anything beyond 500 hp is essentially fucking worthless with only RWD), but I actually love small displacement bikes, and getting more out of less on two wheels. Smaller bikes react faster, and are actually more apt to bite you, and in many ways present more of a challenge to ride fast.

I'd probably love to flog the living shit out of that little thing.

The fucking exhaust (and back fender, for that matter) would be in the fucking garbage an hour after it came home, though. Ick.

i'll agree on the fun factor of little bikes. i must admit im a bit underwhelmed by this effort though, a farmed out single isin't going to be quite as interesting as the lilliputian fours of the 250 hurricane or RR.

Trip 10-27-2010 09:48 PM

I'd like to see the return of the 400 class. Those would be fun little bikes.