Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Help, bike runs like shiz! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=16049)

Rider 08-18-2010 10:21 AM

Help, bike runs like shiz!

Ok, at the beginning of the season I replaced the plugs, air filter, oil, tore down carbs and cleaned them. Bike ran great for a while and the last time I rode it, but now after sitting for about a month the bike wont idle, has poor acceleration and backfires when I close the throttle after maintaining cruising speed on the highway. Too rich? I probably need to replace the needle and seat on the carbs but after that I have no idea what to do next. Gas is fresh and I ran Seafoam to clean out the carbs. No luck.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Particle Man 08-18-2010 10:32 AM

this may seem like a dumb suggestion (sorry) but if it's been sitting, check the airbox to make sure some critter hasn't built a home for itself in there... I know you said you replaced the air filter at the beginning of the season but didn't say if you checked it again recently... at my last place of residence, I let the bike sit for 2 weeks once and had similar issues. Turns out a mouse had made a home in the snorkle to the airbox...

shmike 08-18-2010 10:38 AM

Turn off the choke.

Rider 08-18-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 401783)
Turn off the choke.

It's off.

goof2 08-18-2010 12:57 PM

What is the bike?

Amber Lamps 08-18-2010 01:07 PM

OIC you don't have time for us unless you need something....:lol:

I'd seriously check the air box, he's right about "critters"... Beyond that, pull the plugs and check if they are fouled. Look for a possible vacuum leak, perhaps a line fell off or had a crack that has gotten worse. Check, the fuel filter, I don't think you mentioned that. You haven't washed the bike recently have you? Sometimes water can get into connections at the ECU which can cause these problems. Especially if you have add on programmers... Make sure your plug wire connections are good and triple check that the choke isn't stuck open. Oh and if you have those carbs with the diaphragms on the side, make sure you don't have a hole in one of those.

Rider 08-18-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 401842)
What is the bike?

V-Star 650

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 401847)
OIC you don't have time for us unless you need something....:lol:

I'd seriously check the air box, he's right about "critters"... Beyond that, pull the plugs and check if they are fouled. Look for a possible vacuum leak, perhaps a line fell off or had a crack that has gotten worse. Check, the fuel filter, I don't think you mentioned that. You haven't washed the bike recently have you? Sometimes water can get into connections at the ECU which can cause these problems. Especially if you have add on programmers... Make sure your plug wire connections are good and triple check that the choke isn't stuck open. Oh and if you have those carbs with the diaphragms on the side, make sure you don't have a hole in one of those.

Didn't wash the bike, it's been under a bike cover for the last month. The bike is also bone stock. I'll pull the plugs tonight to check or color.

Particle Man 08-18-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 401854)
Didn't wash the bike, it's been under a bike cover for the last month.

Even more of a possibility of a miserible mouse in that case... ask me how I know :lol:

lauralynne 08-18-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 401773)
Ok, at the beginning of the season I replaced the plugs, air filter, oil, tore down carbs and cleaned them. .

I think I found your problem....

:lol

Rider 08-18-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauralynne (Post 401918)
I think I found your problem....

:lol

Reading comprehension fail. I said it ran great after that? What is your fucking IQ? any idea sweetheart?