Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Model Reviews (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's up Guys? Anyone got input on Honda's NC700X? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21979)

the chi 12-03-2012 09:13 PM

What's up Guys? Anyone got input on Honda's NC700X?

That is, if we still talk about bikes around here!

Looking at possibly picking up the NC700X, leaning toward the standard model, but seriously attracted to the bells and whistles on the auto version (especially with the tendonitis in my hands). Haven't decided if I'll even go for either model, but I'm looking for some input from someone other than the sales guy. I used to know some of you guys, so, tell me about this bike., annnnd GO!

Trip 12-03-2012 10:36 PM

It's a Honda. It would be a good touring bike. Be like a smaller engine multistrada or a wee strom.

Good to see you interested in a bike again.

Once you tour somewhere really awesome you will be hooked again.

goof2 12-03-2012 10:58 PM

I don't think I've ever even seen one so I have nothing knowledgeable to offer. Looks like a cross between a scooter and half a VFR. If you aren't interested in sporting pretensions that could be a good thing. Hope things are good.

Cruzergirl 12-03-2012 11:29 PM

I liked what I saw...just seemed a bit expensive for what you get. Talk to Hokie...I think she looked seriously at that bike for a while... Good luck!

Sean 12-04-2012 09:52 AM

Is it even out yet?

Switch 12-04-2012 01:11 PM

Underpowered.

HokieDNA01 12-05-2012 02:24 AM

I have done a bunch of research on them, definitely going to be my next bike, just not ready to pull the trigger. Not a powerhouse but usable power, super fuel efficient, tons of great options, low center of gravity and low price. I have heard they will be coming out with a low seat option in 2013. Have also heard the price will be going up.

Cruzergirl 12-05-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 524176)
I have done a bunch of research on them, definitely going to be my next bike, just not ready to pull the trigger. Not a powerhouse but usable power, super fuel efficient, tons of great options, low center of gravity and low price. I have heard they will be coming out with a low seat option in 2013. Have also heard the price will be going up.

Low seat option... :dthumb:
Higher Price... not so much.

The Aprilia makes a nice small sport tourer with auto option. The price on that is a little better I think...and it's prettier... Then again that was before the low seat option on the Honda.

No Worries 12-06-2012 12:35 AM

The October issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had a review: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval...00FirstImp.pdf

goof2 12-06-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 524223)
The October issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had a review: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval...00FirstImp.pdf

From the article: "The DCT will suspend downshifts
until enough rpm is bled off to avoid the engine bumping
the rev limiter. That might frustrate expert riders who will sometimes
intentionally overrev an engine on the downshift when riding
aggressively"

:scratch:

Maybe I'm missing out on something great but this seems like a bad idea.

Switch 12-06-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 524227)
aggressively"

Ew, I would hate that. I rev when I downshift...

goof2 12-06-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Switch (Post 524240)
Ew, I would hate that. I rev when I downshift...

So do I, my confusion is the article is saying people intentionally time downshifts so the engine will be beyond redline. I've never heard of that before.

Sean 12-06-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 524227)
aggressively"

Those writers suffer from AMBS (Ain't My Bike Syndrome)

Switch 12-06-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 524251)
So do I, my confusion is the article is saying people intentionally time downshifts so the engine will be beyond redline. I've never heard of that before.

I've never revved it beyond redline, that's a little extreme.

It's more... while braking with two fingers, pull in clutch, rev with palm, downshift, let out clutch.

the chi 12-07-2012 02:16 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm ready to move up to something a lil different, and since the hubby recently picked up a Kawi Concourse, he is dying to do a good amount of touring, currently with his eyes set on the Keys for his first big trip and definitely not a trip I want to do on Mikey's RR that I'm still bike sitting (the tendonitis in the hands, the broken hip and ankle also protest vigorously :lol:).

To me the price is decent, about what I'd expect for something like that.

They are indeed already out, I got to check out both models at a dealer near where we'll be moving this spring.

I'm leery of the auto, simply because I LIKE being in control of my own ride, and ABS makes me slightly nervous, again, because I like knowing EXACTLY what input is going on when I am in charge of it.

It does have luggage options, and the storage in what is normally a gas tank is AWESOME.

I've read alot of the reviews and reports on it, and as the salesguy told me, compared to what I'm used to riding, it will be severely underpowered, since it isnt a supersport, however it has more than enough get up and go for any type of riding.

Still no idea if it's something I want to pull the trigger on, but I wanted to check with some folks I actually know vs a salesman and get y'alls thoughts, so thank you!!

Switch 12-09-2012 06:06 PM

Coming from track riding and dirt riding, I didn't think I'd like the ABS on the Tenere either, but I've changed my mind after using it.

Mikey 12-09-2012 08:39 PM

I looked at them pretty seriously. On paper, they sound great.

Trouble is, in practice, it's a Honda. Hondas (with a few notable exceptions) are like toasters. They are plenty competent, and leave little to complain about, but they just don't really do anything for me. They work great, but there just isn't any spark there.

If you're in that market (and I'm finding myself there), you should really seriously consider the Versys and the V/Wee-Strom as alternatives. They cost less, perform as well or better, and are more fun.

dReWpY 12-10-2012 04:21 PM

Vee- is too tall already, she itty bitty

Amber Lamps 12-10-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dReWpY (Post 524374)
Vee- is too tall already, she itty bitty

Herz iz n elf!

Rangerscott 12-11-2012 07:32 PM

Ha. I tried to sit on the newer model KLR's. Surprised I didn't tump the damn thing over trying to get on it.

Porkchop 12-12-2012 03:55 PM

There is a good review I just read in the Dec issue of Sport Rider.

I sat on one. VERY tall, like everybody said. Comfortable as hell. Wish I could ride one to see. 50hp doesn't seem like a lot. I know you say you are getting into a different type of riding, but damn, 50 hp sucks. Gas mileage will be awesome...

Rangerscott 12-16-2012 09:03 PM

Want an ER-6N? :rockwoot: