Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   ZX-14 shock on the SV (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15070)

Particle Man 06-06-2010 02:26 PM

ZX-14 shock on the SV

Well, I finally took the plunge and put a ZX-14 shock on my SV. I've been riding the SV with the stock rear shock for the past 7 years thinking (apparently incorrectly) that everything was working well. For those that don't know, the stock suspension on the SV is set up on something of a budget. For folks that are lighter, it tends to not be a problem. However, I'm not lighter :lol: so for those of us that are a bit more, uh, insulated, a better (read: more heavily sprung and adjustable) shock is usually best.

Unfortunately, a nice aftermarket shock would be close to and/or over a grand. However, there are some shocks that are pretty darn close to the length of the SV's shock. For my weight, riding style, and occasional 2up riding, the ZX-14 shock would be ideal.

I managed to score a ZX-14 rear shock from eBay for under $100 and it's been sitting in the garage for the past 2 weeks - I've been putting it off thinking it'd be a huge PITA to install.

I finally decided to just freakin' do it... I put the SV up on the center stand (probably the single most useful aftermarket part I've put on the bike to date), unbolted the dog bones, unbolted the shock, and then snuck it out through the bottom. After some creative movement of the little rubber flap on the swing-arm, I managed to sneak the new shock into the space, lined it up, and it almost dropped right in. Minor thing: I needed to Dremel the top of the new shock just the tiniest bit to get it to slide into the slot. That took about 2 minutes total after which, the shock dropped right in. I then tightened everything back up, put the dog bones back on, torqued everything to spec and pulled the bike off the center stand.

At first, I thought I hadn't done something right... the bike normally drops quite a bit when I take it off the center stand and it settles onto the tires. Not so this time. I proceeded to check everything to make sure there was no binding and found none... Apparently the new shock was already doing it's job. :rockwoot:

I checked one more time to make sure everything was bolted in correctly, and then went for a ride. Holy freakin' CRAP, what a difference. It was like the rear wheel was glued to the road. I couldn't believe the difference in the handling.

I'll be spending the next week or so dialing the new shock in (the old shock had adjustable pre-load only while this one has hi/low dampening etc). Either way, it was definitely a worth-while mod. End-to-end, it took me about 20-25 minutes to install (I guess I shouldn't have put it off :lmao:). Total cost was just a shade under $100 (you can't reuse the old bottom shock bolt from the SV: it's too short and it actually threads into the stock shock so you're better off just getting the bottom shock bolt for a ZX-14)

Next up, new fork springs, oil, and emulators.

http://prtclmn001.smugmug.com/Other/...40_J5GUA-L.jpg

Trip 06-06-2010 02:31 PM

Be careful, the dive you will get with the new shock and sucky springs will kill you.

Homeslice 06-06-2010 02:35 PM

Even for lighter guys like myself, the stock SV suspension sucks. Mine acted like a pogo stick over bumps.

Particle Man 06-06-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 379806)
Be careful, the dive you will get with the new shock and sucky springs will kill you.

Yeah I am planning on ordering new springs on Monday. I've already got the pre-load cranked up in the meantime and will be taking it easy this week until the new springs are installed. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to doing.

Emulators will come later I think just because of time. Sonic Springs and 15 or 20 weight fork oil should do for now.

Particle Man 06-06-2010 02:47 PM

ok, scratch that, I just ordered .90kg/mm springs. :)

Dave 06-06-2010 02:54 PM

holy crap. bike related threads on fix?

Particle Man 06-06-2010 02:55 PM

it's riding season ;)

smileyman 06-07-2010 12:10 AM

Get the emulators. They are drop in easy and make a huge diff. My SV was transformed by them.

Switch 06-07-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 380041)
Get the emulators. They are drop in easy and make a huge diff. My SV was transformed by them.

this

Homeslice 06-07-2010 12:55 AM

Go with 20W, don't even bother with 15W.