Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Southwest Riders (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   lanesplitting on the books again (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=5898)

RACER X 02-10-2009 01:44 PM

lanesplitting on the books again

Originally Posted by SB 506 Text
AN ACT
relating to the operation and movement of motorcycles during
periods of traffic congestion.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
(2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can
be made safely.
(e) The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle
for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
direction during periods of traffic congestion if:
(1) notwithstanding Section 661.003(c), the operator
and any passenger wear protective headgear that meets the safety
standards adopted by the department; and
(2) the operator operates the motorcycle:
(A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour
greater than the speed of the other traffic;
(B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
miles per hour or less; and
(C) in a location other than a school crossing
zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour
or less.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

A bill has one again been introduced to the Texas legislature to allow motorcycle lane splitting: SB 506.

Now would be the time to contact your state senators and representatives and ask them to support this bill. You can find your state reps and senator contact info by entering your address here.

Ol' Man Rider 02-10-2009 01:49 PM

Thank You!!!

xx CURVE xx 02-10-2009 01:51 PM

So can i lane split on the way home today or not? :D

Leon 02-10-2009 02:01 PM

Wow that's awesome. Wish the legislators in FL would get their heads out of the asses and follow.

fnfalman 02-10-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xx CURVE xx (Post 162865)
So can i lane split on the way home today or not? :D

Gotta wait to see if the damn bill becomes law first.

Archren 02-10-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnfalman (Post 162872)
Gotta wait to see if the damn bill becomes law first.

Yup... not the first time it's been thrown out there in the last few years.

G-Rex 02-10-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archren (Post 162929)

Wouldn't matter if I'm on the Busa. I'll just roll over to the stripe, look and shake my head, and move back over into the lane like we did in California. :lol:

Archren 02-10-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 163013)
Wouldn't matter if I'm on the Busa. I'll just roll over to the stripe, look and shake my head, and move back over into the lane like we did in California. :lol:

I'm telling you.... your bike needs flags, blinking lights, and "WIDE LOAD" stickers on the back. :lol:

Adeptus_Minor 02-11-2009 10:28 AM

I said it on CF when this came up and it bears repeating here...
Regardless of the law, I doubt I'd feel any safer trying to lane split due to the fact that so many Billy-Bob-Joe-Vern-Earls might suddenly and violently oppose my doing so with the quarter panel of their 6000 lb. diamond plate adorned conveyance.

Legal allowance does not guarantee civil acceptance.

xx CURVE xx 02-11-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

You cant lane split in a Busa...they're fat pigs :lol:

Archren 02-11-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xx CURVE xx (Post 163610)
You cant lane split in a Busa...they're fat pigs :lol:

He probably could have pulled it off if he didn't have the hard bags. :lol:

xx CURVE xx 02-11-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archren (Post 163611)
He probably could have pulled it off if he didn't have the hard bags. :lol:

Better yet i wanna see that done WITH the bags :lol:

Archren 02-11-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xx CURVE xx (Post 163621)
Better yet i wanna see that done WITH the bags :lol:

He probably could've done that too... but would've definitely taken out some mirrors and scraped up some doors in the process. :lol:

xx CURVE xx 02-11-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archren (Post 163624)
He probably could've done that too... but would've definitely taken out some mirrors and scraped up some doors in the process. :lol:

Sounds like a good vid... :lol:

Tards are lane splitting machines :D

AquaPython 02-11-2009 11:29 AM

wow nice. florida needs to learn a lesson !

Chris S 02-14-2009 09:40 AM

I would love to be able to lane split to move to the front @ red lights. I prob. wouldn't do it in traffic unless it was at a standstill.

azoomm 02-14-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archren (Post 162929)

Though, it was only first proposed two years ago. And, they only meet every other year...

We need to get on this.

Archren 02-15-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 165510)
Though, it was only first proposed two years ago. And, they only meet every other year...

We need to get on this.

Let me know.. I'm not well versed in this stuff, but I'd be more than willing to help (as much as I am able before I leave).

azoomm 02-16-2009 06:14 PM

OK This is the actual proposed Bill:

Quote:

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the operation and movement of motorcycles during
periods of traffic congestion.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
(2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can
be made safely.
(e) The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle
for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
direction during periods of traffic congestion if:
(2) the operator operates the motorcycle:
(A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour
greater than the speed of the other traffic;
(B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
miles per hour or less; and
(C) in a location other than a school crossing
zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour
or less.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2009.
It means:

- must wear a helmet
- must not go more than 5mph faster than traffic around you
- must be at a speed of 20mph or LESS.

I have contacted John Carona [author] to see what we can do to help this get passed. That is, other than writing our our Senator.

pdog 02-17-2009 02:53 PM

My wife works for the state lege. Her only comment? "It won't cost any money so that is a plus."

Adeptus_Minor 02-17-2009 09:33 PM

Well, if they can't ticket for it anymore it won't make any money either. :idk:
You know how they love those fines.

ScorchedCarbon 02-24-2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

I used to live in northern CA and I commuted a lot on my motorcycle to work in the Silicon Valley area. Did lots of lane-splitting and never had any problems.

As far as Billy Bob in his truck goes, there are asshole cage drivers everywhere that don't need an excuse like lane-splitting to try to run you off the road. But, given the choice of having my bike overheat or lane-split, I'll take my chances lane-splitting :dthumb:

G-Rex 02-24-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScorchedCarbon (Post 170217)
I used to live in northern CA and I commuted a lot on my motorcycle to work in the Silicon Valley area. Did lots of lane-splitting and never had any problems.

As far as Billy Bob in his truck goes, there are asshole cage drivers everywhere that don't need an excuse like lane-splitting to try to run you off the road. But, given the choice of having my bike overheat or lane-split, I'll take my chances lane-splitting :dthumb:

Oh don't get me wrong. It's not an *I'm chicken* thing. It's a *The Busa is too damn wide with the bags to fit down the middle* thing. :lol:

With the bags on, my Busa has roughly the same rear cross section as a small car. I'd take out alot of mirrors if I tried to lanesplit.

ScorchedCarbon 02-24-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 170236)
Oh don't get me wrong. It's not an *I'm chicken* thing. It's a *The Busa is too damn wide with the bags to fit down the middle* thing. :lol:

With the bags on, my Busa has roughly the same rear cross section as a small car. I'd take out alot of mirrors if I tried to lanesplit.

LOL, not calling you a chicken, but didn't realize you had a Busa Butt :whistle:

Besides, you can just honk your horn while you're lane-splitting and cars should move to open up more space for you, right?

JoshuaTree 02-24-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScorchedCarbon (Post 170240)
... but didn't realize you had a Busa Butt :whistle:

You should have recommended this product for the aforementioned 'ill'...

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/Files/...DSCF0410_t.jpg

Adeptus_Minor 02-24-2009 11:41 AM

That's not baby powder! It's paprika! Aaaaah!

Lucky3623 02-24-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaTree (Post 170280)
You should have recommended this product for the aforementioned 'ill'...

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/Files/...DSCF0410_t.jpg

That stuff rocks!

G-Rex 02-24-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky3623 (Post 170368)
That stuff rocks!

Hellyes it does! That's standard fare in my travel bag when I'm touring!

bubba 02-28-2009 04:51 AM

kind of nice... but then again, maybe not. in heavy traffic cagers lane change frequently and don't take in enough of what's behind/beside them before moving into another lane. i mostly blame cell phones.

p00kienrayray 03-05-2009 01:01 PM

well hope it passes for u guys. because lane splitting is the shit!

Antwanny 03-07-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 170236)

dont be a sissy if a TLR can do it a busa can do it o and pooki HIGH FIVE for lane splitting( watch me get drilled tomorrow by some douche in a geo metro)
________
Honda vfr750r

Archren 03-07-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antwanny (Post 176791)
dont be a sissy if a TLR can do it a busa can do it o and pooki HIGH FIVE for lane splitting( watch me get drilled tomorrow by some douche in a geo metro)

You must have missed the part where he has hard bags on the Busa... Without the bags, lanesplitting would be fine.

Antwanny 03-07-2009 11:39 PM

i didnt miss a thing, hes still being a sissy just use lube and everything fits better.
________
Grow medical marijuana

G-Rex 03-09-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antwanny (Post 176808)
i didnt miss a thing, hes still being a sissy just use lube and everything fits better.

:lol: I'll remember that. :whistle:

RACER X 03-18-2009 01:50 PM

hmm

Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting

fyi Bill passed comittee, 7-2

Archren 03-18-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 182303)
hmm

Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting

fyi Bill passed comittee, 7-2

:rockwoot: We can probably thank Moira and the group who made a showing today for that small victory. :dthumb:

RACER X 03-18-2009 02:43 PM

steps for the bill to become law

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...81R&Bill=SB506

azoomm 03-18-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 182334)

Stage 2 was met today.

We showed up. Where were you??

anthonyk 03-18-2009 09:32 PM

Yeah Ed, isn't Huffman your senator? She needed some educatin'.

MNellis 03-19-2009 01:32 AM

Can someone help me understand this statemtent?

Does this change the Texas helmet law or is it just saying that, to take advantage of this "lane splitting", you have to be wearing a helmet?

JoshuaTree 03-19-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNellis (Post 182615)

Does this change the Texas helmet law or is it just saying that, to take advantage of this "lane splitting", you have to be wearing a helmet?

It means EXACTLY that - if you want to lane split, you MUST wear a helmet, even if you satisfy the requirements of fiscal responsibility for not wearing a helmet at all other times for operating a motorcycle.

That is THE point on which the opposition will try and kill this bill. It is a "nose of the camel under the tent" issue for them - especially since one of the bill's sponsors has repeatedly tried to mandate helmet usage at all times and repeal the cited section of the Transportation Code.

:shrug:

RACER X 03-19-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 182499)
Stage 2 was met today.

We showed up. Where were you??

that crazy thing called work, ya know, you used to do it too. :scratch:

RACER X 03-19-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNellis (Post 182615)

just fyi, passengers have to follow the same guidlines as the primary rider as far as a helmet is concerned.

in short:

have taken MSF and can prove it
or have $10k med ins. and can prove it
be over 21

azoomm 03-19-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 182512)
Yeah Ed, isn't Huffman your senator? She needed some educatin'.

Yup, houston. Ack!

Sure Ed, I don't work at all..... Go get more people to email their Senators. We'll do the work in Austin, but it can't pass without more work statewide.

Archren 03-19-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 182733)
Yup, houston. Ack!

Sure Ed, I don't work at all..... Go get more people to email their Senators. We'll do the work in Austin, but it can't pass without more work statewide.

You do a lot of work. :dthumb: But you have the benefit of being your own boss most of the time (not that anyone could ever really be the boss of you anyway). :lol: :D

azoomm 03-20-2009 10:11 AM

Blog from someone there... http://texgs.blogspot.com/2009/03/st...ring-this.html

Archren 03-20-2009 10:36 AM

Thanks for posting that Moira.. and for providing testimony in support of the bill. :dthumb:

azoomm 03-22-2009 10:36 AM

Ok...
I was there for the committee meeting - and gave testimony. I got grizzly looks from Sputnik, and glared at by Senators that think this isn't safe.

I hear from riders left and right - up and down forums that want it. No, that WANT IT. But, everyone is just sitting by and just posting about it. Please... pretty please... go CALL your Senator.

Fill up the voicemail.

Carona's office is certain that if we can get 21 verbals we can get this to the floor Tuesday. If it passes we have a shot. It's already gotten farther than it ever has before.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/ That is how you find who represents you. CALL them. It takes less than a few minutes and is far more effective than sending an email. The TMRA was certain we wouldn't be able to pull this off, if just because we haven't had a voice before. Be a voice. PLEASE, be a voice.

pdog 03-22-2009 02:30 PM

Can you post the names of any Senators known to support the bill? I know Watson was on the committee and voted for the bill. Does that mean I still need to call?

azoomm 03-22-2009 07:22 PM

I'd still call.

Hell, I called Shapiro to let her know I was upset that she voted NO when she didn't even attend the proposal and testimony. Bad form, IMHO. It doesn't hurt to call.

I'm surprised it's gotten this far with so many crickets chirping. I don't think I've ever been so frustrated as this situation... seriously. What the hell??!? I didn't think it would be this difficult. Are people just not motivated to email/phone??

anthonyk 03-23-2009 03:27 PM

Where can we find voting records on bills? I swear I saw somewhere who the 2 nays and the 7 yeas were.

I'm calling Wentworth today. :dthumb:

MNellis 03-23-2009 05:12 PM

A differing view

First, let me compliment Moira on the great job she is doing by being involved in "The Process" of local government. Due in part to her enthusiasm and commitment to this bill, there seems to be a lot of support on this forum (and others) for this bill to pass.

I've read that there is some limited opposition from other sport bike communities and extreme opposition from the "hard core biker community". I have not read what exactly their opposition is but I can presume that it's along the same lines as mine.

So, with all due respect to the supporters of this bill, can I get some comments on why this lane splitting bill, in it's current form, is so necessary? What is it so important about lane splitting that gets people fired up and passionate about it...so much so they are willing to give up a personal freedom to see it passed?

You can probably see where I'm going with this and I do so because I have not seen the issue debated in an open forum such as this before. If it has, please send me a link to that discussion.

Now, let me preface my position by giving some background on myself to those I don't know. I received my drivers license in 1972 in Southern California. Some will say that makes me an old fart (true) and a California liberal (false). I learned to ride in the crowded LA freeways where lane splitting was legal, winding roads were plentiful, the climate was arid and off-road riding was legal for as far as the eyes could see. Lane splitting was a way of life and something motorcyclist took for granted. It wasn't until many years later when I moved from the Valley (yea, yea I was a surfin valley boy back in the day too) that I got the sweet taste of a citation for going to the head of the line at a traffic light. So much for how the rest of the country treated motorcyclists.

Additionally, I'm a motorcycle racer and (former) fast street rider who wears a helmet and encourages/recommends that others do so at all times. A helmet has saved my life more times than I can to count so I can not/will not debate the merits of wearing one. If you choose to wear one then great! If you choose not to wear one, for whatever reason, then that's OK with me too, it's the option you choose to take. Occasionally but not often, I choose to go sans helmet. My wife doesn't like it, my parents don't like it and I'm ridiculed and called a squid by my peers and other racers when I do so. :) I know the risks and I'm willing to accept them.

So, as you can see, I support splitting traffic in it's basic form...as a convenience and advantage to riding a motorcycle on the street. Not being allowed to split traffic lanes does not hinder or improve on my enjoyment of riding my motorcycle on the street. I also support wearing a helmet, that is not the question.

I'm just curious as to what is the prime motivation for those who have taken up this cause. The energy and resources to fight this battle can be significant so there must be a good reason.

Thoughts?

pdog 03-23-2009 05:54 PM

My motivation: I want to lane split on hot days and bad traffic. I couldn't care less about helmets and freedom. I see a helmet as no different from a seat belt.

anthonyk 03-23-2009 06:21 PM

Purely selfish on my part. I want TX to catch up with the rest of the world and realize that splitting is a valid way to move more traffic (and get me home sooner).

I see the helmet provision as a reasonable compromise when dealing with a general public that thinks lanesplitting is opening the door to reckless insanity on the part of motorcyclists. Nobody is forcing anyone to wear a helmet during all motorcycle use, and it may help help show car drivers the more safety-oriented side of motorcycling.

Edit: I'm not sure I buy the "personal freedom" argument. If this passes, my freedoms as a helmetless rider would remain exactly as they are today. I'd be free to not wear a lid, and I'd be free to not split the lanes. :shrug:

azoomm 03-23-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNellis (Post 184402)
I'm just curious as to what is the prime motivation for those who have taken up this cause. The energy and resources to fight this battle can be significant so there must be a good reason.

Oh crap, I'm supposed to have a reason?? :lol: Just kidding.

As a person that no longer rides on the street, it would seem as though this piece of legislation wouldn't benefit me at all. Well, today it doesn't. Though, I used to commute on my bike - and I chose when I would commute based on when I could come home, the temp that day - to decide if my bike would try to eat itself in the heat of the tarmac.

The helmet factor matters not to me. I always wear a helmet, always will wear a helmet. And, should the planets line up just right and I don't wear a helmet... I just won't split lanes.

My eldest is on the track to getting her license this summer. I'd like her to have the choice to do it legally.

MORE motorcycles only help my business. More motorcycles only help oil and gas availabilities. More motorcycles on the roads only help the rest that have been there... safety in numbers. Hell, if we get enough motorcycles commuting downtown - we might even get our own parking.

I have no issue with the bill the way it stands today. It was explained to me that the helmet restriction was put in as a concession to the protests this bill has had in the past. Those opposed in the past were concerned about our "safety". I believe it's a fair compromise.

At the rate it's going, I might just be back riding on the street by the time it passes....

azoomm 03-24-2009 12:13 PM

UPDATE from Angie: (Policy Analyst, Senate Committee on Transportation and Homeland Security)

"We are trying to get the votes to bring it up before the full Senate. If we get them today we can bring it up tomorrow. So far we have 15 yeses, 3 no votes, and the rest are undecided. Any phone calls that you and others can make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! "

We are SO CLOSE. Phone calls are right now the most quick way to get your point across. So... CALL. Call now.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

pdog 03-25-2009 03:18 PM

w00t!!!

The bill passed the Senate today. Now it goes to the House.

FOX/KTBC-7 is showing what I'm sure will be a "fair and balanced" report on the lane splitting issue on their 9pm broadcast tonight.

skiergirl 03-25-2009 03:25 PM

ha, yea I can only imagine what horror stories they will show of people doing wheelies down 183 saying 'this is what you can expect' ....

The bad part is this report will being it to everyone's attn and prompt people to call in against it...

Austinrider 03-25-2009 03:39 PM

I just found out the bill passed as well by talking with someone in Steve Ogdens office. She asked if I rode and what I thought of the bill. I told her I was an educator as well as a rider and my reasoning for hoping that Ogden supported the bill. I think the vast majority of us realize the benefit of having more ppl on two wheels on the road as well as being able to continue moving in the heat of the day while those in ac cages don't overheat. Hopefully not to much other crap gets thrown on this so it will get passed.

AR

azoomm 03-25-2009 03:59 PM

Can you guys do me a favor and light FOX's phone up?? (512) 476-7777

Just tell them you saw the promo for the piece they want to run about the Lane Splitting bill. That you believe it might not be fair and balanced, that it may not be representing what the bill actually proposes. [they show motorcycles zipping in and out of cars in traffic AT SPEED].

They will have you leave a voicemail... leave one.

If we light up the phone lines now, they will pull the piece, or RE DO it. PLEASE.

Austinrider 03-25-2009 04:04 PM

Done...

ScorchedCarbon 03-25-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 185436)
Can you guys do me a favor and light FOX's phone up?? (512) 476-7777

Just tell them you saw the promo for the piece they want to run about the Lane Splitting bill. That you believe it might not be fair and balanced, that it may not be representing what the bill actually proposes. [they show motorcycles zipping in and out of cars in traffic AT SPEED].

They will have you leave a voicemail... leave one.

If we light up the phone lines now, they will pull the piece, or RE DO it. PLEASE.

Done!

pdog 03-25-2009 11:06 PM

The FOX coverage was much more balanced than the commercial led me to believe, I thought.

HurricaneHeather 03-25-2009 11:50 PM

I could've done without the intro, "Imagine sitting in traffic and have a motorcycle go past you...." hands waving about....

Like, oh you poor thing sitting in traffic with your a/c on and some ass hole on a motorcycle just passes you by :rolleyes:

But that's the news for you....always trying to worry people. :shrug:

azoomm 03-26-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 185696)
The FOX coverage was much more balanced than the commercial led me to believe, I thought.

I'd like to think phone calls and filling up voicemail helped that....

Archren 03-26-2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 185726)
I'd like to think phone calls and filling up voicemail helped that....

I called after the news piece too bc I still felt it was pretty slanted and made it seem like a very bad idea to someone in the general public. The videos they pulled from YouTube were of riders going too fast, they made it seem like it would cause more wrecks, not fewer.

I guess their answering machine thought I was too long winded... It cut me off. :lol:

azoomm 03-31-2009 02:14 PM

Another update.

Quote:

I just wanted to let you know that SB 506 was referred to the House Committee on Public Safety. I had previously told you it would probably go to Transportation, but it did not. It's important to show the members of that committee support of the bill.
Committee members:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Committ...&CmteCode=C420

The important thing to remember - you can express your interest in this bill whether the Rep is YOUR rep or not. It is important to show interest and support overall.

This may be an effort to derail the bill...

Archren 03-31-2009 02:31 PM

You'd think after the 2nd e-mail I wrote I would have just saved the text, but noooo...

<--Dumbass.

Off I go to write another Rep. :D

MNellis 03-31-2009 11:51 PM

A different point of view

I broached this subject a week or so ago and only received a few comments. Here are my thoughts, as shared on another site, regarding the upcoming Lane Splitting Bill.

I've followed various discussions on several msg. boards and almost all have been talking up this bill, just like this message board is going.

Again, cudos to the hard charging people that are fighting for what they want. The act of getting involved is more important than standing by and watching the world go by.

I got my license in So. California and grew up riding there so I'm well versed in the benefits and dangers of splitting traffic. The proponents of this bill advocate how important it is to keep the bikes moving in rush hour traffic on the highway. The reality is that overheating motorcycles, especially liquid cooled ones nowadays, is rare. Maybe my old RC-51 is an exception but it's not nearly as big a problem as it was in So. Cal. in the late 60's on an air cooled Norton. The subject of how lane splitting will actually increase safety and will put more helmets on riders is a joke. Don't pee on my face and tell me it's raining. The only real advantage to this bill is that you'll be able to go to the head of the line at a traffic light and maybe make up 5 minutes in traffic during peak rush hours. Think about it, if traffic is moving over 20 mph then lane splitting is not authorized. Really, other than a T/A, how often is traffic moving under 20 mph on the highway. Even during peak hours it moves at 20 mph or better. The 'S' turns in S. Austin might be an exception. Additionally, this law will not allow you to pass on the left in the far left lane and it will not allow you to pass on the right in the "slow lane".

On the surface, I think lane splitting is a good idea. I'm comfortable with it and I know how to work it. The problem as I see it, is they combined it with a helmet law. What a surprise, the government is offering motorcyclist something....but they want a wee little something in return.

They've added this requirement for one of two reasons. Either they think lane splitting is so dangerous that to do so requires a helmet due to the increased risk of crashing or they want to get some sort of helmet law on the books. If statistics show that safe riding is compromised by lane splitting to the extenet that a helmet law is necessary then why, why, why, why would we pass a law approving it for the general public?? Hell, the Lawmakers are outlawing the sale of mini-quads targeted at children under the supervision of adults yet they're going to approve a dangerous maneuver like lane splitting that is so dangerous that in order to do it a helmet is mandated???? Right, I've got a bridge to sell you too. It's smoke and mirrors my friends, there is a real agenda here and it's not to improve the comfort and traffic flow for motorcyclists.

A helmet law, regardless or how menial, is still a law and much more difficult to rescind. Once it's in place then they'll do what they want in the future as it relates to requiring/mandating helmets with very little to stop them. It's a like a $.01 sales tax. On the surface it's probably not a big deal. When is the last time you saw a state lower or abolish a tax of any sort. Conversely, how many states started with a $.02-$.03 sales tax and are now paying 8.5%. Would you vote in an income tax even though it only applied to a small group of wealthy people? I don't think so, because you know it'll trickle down to the average family in no time and you'll probably never see the benefit of the tax regardless of how they try to convince you it was money well spent.

Don't get me wrong, I will advise people to wear helmets and I do so myself almost all the time. What I don't want is the government telling me I have to. It's just one more chance for them to tell me how to run my life. Next, it'll be I have to wear a certain type of jacket while riding, regardless of the weather. After that, they'll require the use of some sort of "air bag vest".

I know, I know, lots of states have helmet laws but that's not the point.

Anyway, I didn't want to get into a helmet law debate. It just sticks in my craw that people, sheep if you will, will sacrifice a freedom for the privileged of riding between cars. Trust me, you'll see more accidents because of lane splitting and the traffic will be backed up because of it... and you'll continue to go nowhere fast.

If lane splitting is a good thing then it should pass on it's merits. If a mandatory helmet law is what people want then it should be voted on, and adopted, on it's merits. But do not, I repeat, do not dangle a carrot in front of me, BUT, I have to accept a swat on the butt with a paddle at the same time.....for my own good.

In my world, I'll notice the swat on the back side a lot more than I'll enjoy eating the carrot.

Adeptus_Minor 04-01-2009 06:45 AM

I see what you're saying, Mike.
But, since most of us are going to be wearing helmets anyway, it seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Normally I'm very wary of 'slippery slope' type legislation, but this just isn't sending up any red flags for me.
Perhaps I've just been stuck behind one too many slow accelerating people when I could have easily cut to the front and been the first away from the stoplight.
:idk:

Archren 04-01-2009 07:35 AM

Mike.. I commute EVERY DAY in rush hour traffic from S. Austin to E. 51st St... Traffic gets below 20mph (as in stop, roll forward 2 feet, stop) for a stretch of about 5-10 miles (depending on if I leave work at 5:00 or 5:05).. and my bike doesn't overheat, per se, but my thighs cooking, my left hand cramping, and ME overheating isn't pleasant, either. The only way for me to get around that traffic is to either go through downtown (usually worse) or take the 130 toll road (kinda out of the way, takes the same amt of time as sitting in traffic).

And that's just 35. Mopac is far, far worse.

But that's just my personal take. I see what you're getting at.. But I don't really agree. :)

I don't really care one way or the other about helmet laws, but really if people don't want to wear a helmet, they should have that freedom, and in that I do agree with you.. But I don't really get the vibe that this is the ultimate end game for this bill. I think it was a compromise thrown in to appease the nay-sayers. :idk:

anthonyk 04-01-2009 09:18 AM

I commute the whole length of Mopac every day, and it moves below 20mph for much of that length during rush hour. It pretty much sucks.

I'm still not buying the "freedom" argument, Mike. First, Texas has a helmet law on the books already. Riders are required to wear helmets. There's just an exception specified that says that a peace officer can't arrest you or give you a ticket for it if you meet specific criteria. It may sound like semantics, but the fact is, riding without a helmet in Texas is against the law. Remove that one exception, and riders can start getting ticketed again. In my mind, compared to that, this lanesplitting thing isn't a slippery slope at all.

Also, by supporting this, nobody is really giving up any freedoms. Conversely, nobody is preserving freedoms by opposing it. If this passes, ol' Sputnik and his crew will be in the same position they are now. They won't be able to lanesplit, and won't get penalized for not wearing a helmet. If they successfully kill it, they're in the same position. What's the big deal?

The truth is that the general public thinks motorcyclists are hooligans. We're daredevils who don't care about safety. If they're going to extend us the courtesy of allowing lanesplitting, I think it's reasonable to help reinforce the image (at least) that many motorcyclists are interested in safe and responsible riding. Like it or not, wearing a helmet is associated with being safe and responsible. It's a reasonable tradeoff in my mind.

Adeptus_Minor 04-23-2009 09:32 PM

Always nice when they reply :)

Quote:

Thank you for contacting me concerning Senate Bill 506, which would allow a motorcyclist to drive between lanes at a speed no more than 5 mph over the other vehicles traffic, at a maximum of 25 mph.

As you may know, I serve as Vice Chair on the Senate Committee on Transportation and Homeland Security, where SB 506 was referred. I am pleased to inform you that SB 506 was voted out of committee with my support and passed favorably on the Senate floor with 27 Yeas and 4 Nays.

Thank you again for writing. I appreciate your continued support as we work to reduce traffic congestion. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

Kirk Watson

pdog 04-27-2009 08:12 PM

A!@*&^#!@#

KXAN selected the lane splitting bill as the "Wild Bill of the Week" in their Session 09 program (Sunday mornings) and basically reiterated the pro-car "it's unfair and not safe" viewpoint.

azoomm 04-27-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 203812)
A!@*&^#!@#

KXAN selected the lane splitting bill as the "Wild Bill of the Week" in their Session 09 program (Sunday mornings) and basically reiterated the pro-car "it's unfair and not safe" viewpoint.

You can thank TMRA for that. If THEY say it's not safe then it won't ever have a chance, even in years to come. If they get the CARS to say it's not safe then they can reposition in the future.

:skep:

pdog 04-27-2009 11:07 PM

I just sent the reporter a message on Twitter, thanking her for the PR and expressing our belief as bikers that the law is safe, etc, etc.

gator232 05-18-2009 02:17 PM

I am totally for lane splitting. In fact I grew up doing it where there are few rules as too what you can and cannot do when splitting like in California. In many 'other' urban countries, motorcycles are relegated to the unused space between cars and I don't see very many accidents in those countries.

If we are to reduce traffic congestion and fuel consumption, more people need to use bikes and they need to encourage people to do so by letting them lane split to the head of the traffic. Some countries actually allow a 10-15 foot space at the light only for motorcycles.

We just need to get used to sharing the road with bikes like the rest of the world.

Particle Man 05-18-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 163607)
I said it on CF when this came up and it bears repeating here...
Regardless of the law, I doubt I'd feel any safer trying to lane split due to the fact that so many Billy-Bob-Joe-Vern-Earls might suddenly and violently oppose my doing so with the quarter panel of their 6000 lb. diamond plate adorned conveyance.

Legal allowance does not guarantee civil acceptance.

yep - that is one reason why I probably wouldn't do it here even if it became legal in NY...

RACER X 06-29-2010 01:47 PM

sputnick has died, maybe an open door for lanesplitting?

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/159802

Homeslice 06-29-2010 01:55 PM

haven't read the thread, but you guys dont know what you're missing.........I probably wouldn't even ride if lanesplitting wasn't legal here.

fnfalman 06-29-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 387900)
haven't read the thread, but you guys dont know what you're missing.........I probably wouldn't even ride if lanesplitting wasn't legal here.

Yep. What the hell is the point of using moto/scooter as commuter vehicles when you have to be stuck in traffic like the rest of the cagers. Might as well take the cage and enjoy the HVAC, not to mention don't have to worry about becoming the fillings for the cager metal sandwich.

Mikey 06-29-2010 05:07 PM

OK, being as I live in Texas now, this bill is WAY more important to me. Can someone give me an idea of where this thing stands right now, and what I can do to help?

It will still be a couple of months before I'm back on the bike, but if I can help this thing through in any way then I'm in.

RACER X 06-29-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnfalman (Post 387915)
Yep. What the hell is the point of using moto/scooter as commuter vehicles when you have to be stuck in traffic like the rest of the cagers. Might as well take the cage and enjoy the HVAC, not to mention don't have to worry about becoming the fillings for the cager metal sandwich.

I do it to enjoy riding, I would rather we had L/S but we don't. I still commute

Ca is really the only state that I know off that allows L/S

azoomm 06-29-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 387897)
sputnick has died, maybe an open door for lanesplitting?

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/159802

Sputnik wasn't the roadblock. He was actually fantastic, and has done more for motorcycling in Texas than any other single individual.

Lanesplitting is still on for the next session.

RACER X 06-29-2010 11:56 PM

Thought he was the primary one or at least led the group that opposed LS?

So besides helping repeal the helmet law, what else did he do for M/C?

Homeslice 06-30-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 388154)
I do it to enjoy riding, I would rather we had L/S but we don't. I still commute

Do you do it anyway, if it's obvious there's no cops around? I would. :shrug:

RACER X 06-30-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 388171)
Do you do it anyway, if it's obvious there's no cops around? I would. :shrug:

Only when there's like bumper to bumper traffic

Homeslice 06-30-2010 01:10 AM

Do you get any guys throwing shit, or threatening to report you?

RACER X 06-30-2010 09:07 AM

me, no throwing shit, have been honked at and had cars move over, but i just keep on going. passed a few cops before.

have heard of some peeps getting tickets

and IMO riding the emergancy lane does not constitute LS

Full Throttle 07-01-2010 06:40 PM

I know that In Tennessee that if you come to a light and its red for 3 turns then your allowed to run it, but besides that there lane splitting is illegal. Doesn't mean i don't do it. I'm really wanting it here in Georgia and Tennessee though. They are doing so much construction in and around Chattanooga its killing me and i'm sitting in 90+ degree weather on a flipping oven thats reaching post 220 degrees temperatures. I'm sry if the general public doesn't approve but i don't like roasting like a Thanksgiving turkey while trying to get to work.

If your not sure what your state laws are here ya go

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

azoomm 07-01-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 388163)
Thought he was the primary one or at least led the group that opposed LS?

So besides helping repeal the helmet law, what else did he do for M/C?

That was a great rumor. It was actually car drivers that were opposed. They had their own bill to get passed - and did - which requires the MSF in order to get your license.

Most of what he did was protect us from additional laws that would have taken our riding freedoms away from us. So, he did more blocking and burying of bills than passing of laws - sometimes that is the better art in legistlation. These were anything from helmet laws, required donor cards, additional taxes, etc.