Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top 5 Mods for motorcycles (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=289)

Mr Lefty 03-02-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTB (Post 5676)
1. Diet I lost 50 lbs since July; the bike rides, handles, accelerates and stops so much better without the extra avoirdupois. Looked in the mirror one day and asked myself "Self, what good is an ultralight bike if it's being ridden by a manatee?" :idk: Cost: saved me money on groceries.....

Good word! :lol:

azoomm 03-02-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT (Post 5677)
Thats about the ideal list for top 5 right there.

Except I'd change the order...

Training / MSF / Trackdays
Brakes (because even when you blow a tire, you have to stop)
Tires (because you only have two...)
Suspension (better handling = better handling)
Gearing

logan1 03-02-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

1. Diet I lost 50 lbs since July; the bike rides, handles, accelerates and stops so much better without the extra avoirdupois. Looked in the mirror one day and asked myself "Self, what good is an ultralight bike if it's being ridden by a manatee?" :idk: Cost: saved me money on groceries.....

Best post on this forum so far.....:rockout::pat:

jtemple 03-02-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

That's a good one. I lost 110+ lbs a while back and am loving every minute of it!

Trip 03-02-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 5943)
That's a good one. I lost 110+ lbs a while back and am loving every minute of it!

damn man, good job on that one.

DLIT 03-03-2008 06:53 AM

With seat time as a given...

Tires next. Once you have good tires, you have a solid base to work with everything else.

Suspension. Try getting it tuned to your weight first. You might be surprised.

Brake pads/lines. It's amazing how good adding good pads and lines helps. No more brake fade.

Exhaust/power commander. Have your bike dyno-tuned once you get the full system and power commander combo.

Gearing. This one last because it takes time to learn your bike. Gearing gives you the advantage of quicker acceleration, but you go through gears faster and less top end. It all depends on what tracks you ride. If they have short straights, gearing should help you out. Long straights, you'll get passed by all the guys you may have passed before the beginning of the straight. I'm still content with stock gearing on my bike.

05svr650 03-04-2008 07:45 AM

Training
Suspension
Tires
Brakes
Power Management

Most important should be learn what you ride and where you ride. I rode the hell outta my stock SV and put a lot of guys to shame on "real" sport bikes up at the Dragon. That's because I know what my bike is capable of and I know how far I can push it. I also have the rode memorized to where I can replay each run back in my head. Sometimes I'll spend all day just riding back and forth on a 2 mile section of rode, just so I can maximize my bikes potential in that section.

It's not what you ride, but how you ride it.

fnfalman 03-04-2008 08:58 PM

1. Training/Track Days
2. Wheels
3. Tires
4. Suspension
5. Exhaust/fuel mapping

I think that brakes can only be slightly improved because most factory brakes on sport bikes are awesome.

The wheels make for marked performance in acceleration, deceleration and maneuverability.

Tires...they speak for themselves.

Suspension set-up and/or replacement parts are a great way to aid overall performance of the bike.

Exhaust and fuel mapping makes for a smooth throttle response that's critical for fast riding. Not to mention great for lane splitting too. A herky-jerky throttle makes for some interesting rides during lane splitting.:panic:

And yes, losing lots of weights really help!!! I'm looking to drop another twenty pounds. I've lost 17-pounds and that really made a big difference. It's like dropping another set of stock exhaust and catalytic converter.:whistle:

NONE_too_SOFT 03-04-2008 08:59 PM

wheels really that much a factor in performance? whats your logic?

OneSickPsycho 03-04-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT (Post 8057)
wheels really that much a factor in performance? whats your logic?

Reduction in rotational mass and unsprung weight... improves braking and accelleration due to the brakes and engine not having to work as hard... (sorta like if you put 20's on your car and don't change the brakes your car is harder to get going and harder to stop)... Not having all that weight rotating also greatly reduces gyroscopic forces improving turn-in and general manuverability... Unsprung weight allows the suspension to work better...