Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Southwest Riders (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   woods fun center up in flames (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14068)

RACER X 04-01-2010 11:27 PM

woods fun center up in flames

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Motor...-89649992.html

by SHELTON GREEN / KVUE News

Posted on March 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Updated today at 8:57 AM

Austin fire fighters are trying to determine what caused a fire at a Northeast Austin business which was so large that it could be seen from the downtown area.

Around 5 p.m. Wednesday employees at the Woods Fun Center on Braker Lane and I-35 were startled by what they saw when they looked outdoors.

"I was sitting in my office and I saw smoke billowing over the building and naturally we ran out," said Michael Sweetland, a sales manager at Woods Fun Center.

"I heard a pop and just went to the door and turned around and the flames were already to the roof," said Anthony Whitt, another Woods Fun Center employee.

Austin Fire Battalion Chief Rob Berdahl said the fire consumed more than 100 brand new motorcycles. All of the motorcycles were still in their crates.

The preliminary damage estimate was at least $1 million dollars.

"I just know it's a real unfortunate situation because of an already tough economy, that's our inventory back there that has burnt down to the ground," said Sweetland.

Adding to the concern for employees was the fact that the fire was uncomfortably close to several above ground fuel tanks out back.

"I thought the shop was going to be gone, just mainly because of the above ground gas I thought it was going to get that and we would lose the shop at that point because the fire spread so quick," added Whitt.

Austin fire fighters had plenty of concerns of their own about what was burning in the fire. Most of the motorcycles which burned contained magnesium.

"Magnesium burns very brilliantly burns very bright and react so there was a little bit of trouble putting out the large amount of magnesium on fire but they were able to put it out," added Battalion Chief Berdahl.

Managers at the Woods Fun Center are now questioning what this destructive fire will mean to the futures of employees.

Everyone involved is going to take a hit financially because like I said if we don't have the inventory to sale then we're going to be in a bind," said Michael Sweetland.

Investigators with the Austin Fire Department's Arson Unit are looking into the cause which is customary in cases like this.

azoomm 04-01-2010 11:41 PM

Um, yeah... We were at bike night tonight [I don't usually go, but to show support for the people that work there, I'm game].

I've seen some pretty spectacular pictures.

Adeptus_Minor 04-02-2010 01:38 AM

[bad taste joke warning]

Woods Fun Center...
Where the prices are as high as the flames in our warehouse... wait...what? :runaway:

Riceaholic 04-02-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 356524)
[bad taste joke warning]

Woods Fun Center...
Where the prices are as high as the flames in our warehouse... wait...what? :runaway:

I take from this...It was a dealership?

azoomm 04-02-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riceaholic (Post 356528)
I take from this...It was a dealership?

Yup.

Largest dealership in the Austin area. Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha. Their inventory is destroyed.

Riceaholic 04-02-2010 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 356529)
Yup.

Largest dealership in the Austin area. Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha. Their inventory is destroyed.

Happened to the biggest stealership around here too about 8 years ago...everyone knew they were finished. Used to just be Barney's Yamaha. they burned and reopened twice as big with Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia and Suzuki in a giant new 2 story building at least twice as big as the old one.

pdog 04-02-2010 09:35 AM

"Stealership". LOL.

Adeptus_Minor 04-02-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 356550)
"Stealership". LOL.

Well, we did call them 'Hoods' at one time :wink:

In all seriousness, I'm sorry this happened to them because of the loss of good motorcycles and the potential impact this will have on their employees.:(

skiergirl 04-02-2010 01:00 PM

I've bought 2 bikes from Woods over the last 6 years and they have always been fair with me. I just don't go there much because it's so far North and traffic sucks..

I hope they get through it...

san Antone RR 04-07-2010 01:03 AM

I bought a new 929 from them before they moved to their new place. Have bought gear as well. Hope they take care of their employees.

Steve