Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Now the KLR is ready for Alaska! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18543)

G-Rex 03-12-2011 04:42 PM

Now the KLR is ready for Alaska!

2 Attachment(s)
I got the bike back together, and it runs great, so I guess I have to take it to Prudhoe Bay now.

I took it apart to the frame, powdercoated the frame and swingarm to get everything cleaned up nice.

It also has a 685 kit, IMS 6.6 gallon tank, and Happy Trails bags that I'll be installing tomorrow. Also added the drill through subframe bolt kit. I also have the 280 watt alternator/rectifier From Electrosport that I haven't installed yet.

So far, I've put about 30 miles on it to begin break-in of the 685, and all I can say is wow. This thing likes to rev! Vibration is less now, and the sweet spot is at about 5,000 rpm and 80 mph.

First pic is prior to taking the frame to the powdercoater. Poor bike was so naked. LOL. Second pic is from today's first jaunt off-road after the rebuild.

Right now, my best friend and I are looking at an August 1 departure for Prudhoe Bay. I'm ready to go!

Gas Man 03-12-2011 04:43 PM

2 pics... that's it.

Fail!

G-Rex 03-12-2011 04:45 PM

I'm not gonna post a million pictures and video of the teardown/assembly like you do! haha! Besides, it's a KLR! It's only marginally more complicated than a bicycle! LOL

Corey 03-12-2011 04:46 PM

Where's the anti-bear gun mount and matching rifle carrier? You are obviously under prepared for this endeavor.

Particle Man 03-12-2011 05:14 PM

Looks great!

Trip 03-12-2011 08:14 PM

Nicely done Trace

101lifts2 03-12-2011 10:36 PM

What if the coil goes out on the trip?

G-Rex 03-12-2011 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 456239)
What if the coil goes out on the trip?

What if I get a flat. What if the carb ices up. What if the chain spits. What if a valve drops.

I can play what-ifs all day long. At some point, you have to quit worrying about what will happen and get out there and do it.

To answer your question, if a coil goes out, I'll deal with it when the time comes. Anything can happen. If I worried about what-if, I would never leave home.

Honestly, considering that I will be riding 900 miles of *this* (see pic below) north of Fairbanks, Alaska where there are practically *no* services, a coil going out is the least of my worries. I'm on my own up there.

Gas Man 03-12-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 456192)
I'm not gonna post a million pictures and video of the teardown/assembly like you do! haha! Besides, it's a KLR! It's only marginally more complicated than a bicycle! LOL

Sure... why not... make with the pics. IF you got that many, at least you can do is post a few mid way shots as it went.

derf 03-13-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 456243)
What if I get a flat. What if the carb ices up. What if the chain spits. What if a valve drops.

What if the left side can tightening chain # 12 link roller bearing fails sending the bike into a tailspin with you on it and it goes down in a burning ring of fire. Its going down down down in a burning ring of fire, And It Burns, Burns, Burns The Ring Of Fire The Ring Of Fire The Taste Of Love Is Sweet When Hearts like Ours Meet I Fell For You Like A Child Oh,But The Fire Went Wild I Fell Into A Burning Ring Of Fire I Went Down, Down, Down And The Flames Went Higher And It Burns, Burns, Burns The Ring Of Fire The Ring Of Fire Love Is A Burning Thing And It Makes A Fiery Ring Bound By Wild Desire I Fell Into A Ring Of Fire I Fell Into A Burning Ring Of Fire I Went Down(down), Down(down), down(down) And The Flames Went Higher Higher Higher I Fell Into A Burning Ring Of Fire I Went Down(down), Down(down), Down(down) And The Flames Went Higher Higher Higher