View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #3301
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angee View Post
I had one at her age and they had to put a "wick" in my jaw by the tooth to drain it. Sounds horrible, but it was far better than the pain of the infected tooth. It didn't bother me except for the fact that it was something sticking out of my gums that wasn't supposed to be there. I'd definitely give the dentist a call...is she drinking lots of water? Fluids might help her system flush that crap out, I would think...

Besides, you're supposed to drink plenty when you're on antibiotics anyway.
Dental abcess and peri tonsilar abcess are 2 different animals. I dont think they put a wick in a PTA, at least I havent seen them do that, I don tknow if I would want a dentist poking around back there. Either a good ER guy (ok I am biased) or an ENT doc. You mess up back there and yo uhave problems. The internal carottid artery is right behind the tonsils. You go too far and hit that and its game over.

Best thing she can do is keep hydrated and see how it goes later. I have seen patients with a case of what looked like strep and were given antibiotics and a day or 2 later return with a whopping abcess. Hopefully thats not the case here, and would like ot be wrong on this one but given the info I have been I dont think i am.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote