View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

So I put the bags on the bike and went for a quick ride. I did find some places to mount the rear part of the bags, though I'm not too keen on running the straps under the seat and to the subframe, I have a feeling that the stress on the seat will eventually break it. For now it's begining to look like I will have to fabricate something to strap it to, just a small bar going across the tail, maybe an inch past the body on each side, might even be a good place to mount my plate so it doesn't look too out of place. I have a small design in my mind that would just clip in place when the bag is on and unbolt when I take it off. I will do some work on it when it gets a little warmer out and I have the time.

I also tried to do what ebbs suggested, but the bags dont come down enough to strap each side to eachother without putting alot of extra pressure on the tail bodywork, and I can easily see a few hours of riding cracking the tail to pieces from the stress of that thing on it. Not from moving around, just the small shifting of weight from every bump it would hit.

But teh bag is very secure, and when it is full the metal buckles don't get anywhere near the plastics. The only down side is that if I need to use the bag with a small load I have to watch how I mount them. I was able to easily fit 2 weeks worth of dirty laundry into it, with room to spare, and when I took it out for a ride it didn't move at all.

If there was a grab handle it would solve all the problems.

I have some pictures that I took, I will put them up later tonight, but I'm heading out to dinner in a few.

Last edited by derf; 03-13-2009 at 03:39 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote