View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #54
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer42 View Post
As someone who races I just have a different perspective. You guys can love him or hate him. I don't give a shit. But to show a total lack of respect for a guy and justifying your opinion based on statistics is still missing the point. And I will give another comparison. If any of you follow motocross/supercross Chad Reed is a good example. His Supercross championships came with RC and/or Bubba misssing. So people dog him. I don't like him AT ALL. But he deserves those titles IMO because he was the best of who was out there. And while maybe those guys aren't in the same league as Bubba or RC they are still stupid fucken fast and Chad had to beat them.
I don't give a shit about how they deal with fans, that can be argued. He is a product and if he isn't making himself a sellable item by screwing over the base he is trying to sell to, it could land him in trouble keeping a job if he isn't performing on the track. Casey doesn't have this problem yet as he has performed decently.

How much is that respect worth really? The respect that I would show a athlete for an ability be it natural, environmental, or learned would be very minimal. Showing lack of respect for this ability, wouldn't take much because the level of respect is that of a circus clown that is the best at his job. They aren't US military soldiers risking their lives for our freedom or curing someone of cancer, they are putting on a show to entertain the masses. It's that simple. Respect is minimal at best, so showing a lack of it for statistics would not be outrageous in any means.

I don't put the same worth on the ability to ride a motorcycle, so it isn't offensive to discuss the quality of moto gp riders as statistics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote