Thread: Icon Ftw!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #83
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Teknic is track proven and street proven. A buddy of mine who use to race 200mph+ around Atlanta's perimeter wears nothing but Teknic. And if you see this guys garage you can see he has crashed a lot with torn up bike parts lying everywhere. When I was getting a bike and talking about gear he said "Get Teknic, Dainese, and Taichi". Or something like Tai Chi. I've never heard of them nor been able to find them but heard they were good.

He told me not to cheap out with Icon gear. By the way this guy is "Ghetto Fabulous" and loves that crap. He rides an 08 Hayabusa that spits out 202hp to the wheel. Has owned 3 ZX-12s both 200mph+ capable and all totaled out. He even wears the chrome dome sometimes and thought about putting a 360rear on his Busa for a bit(Thank god he didn't). But when it came to riding hard he gears out all the way.

Considering Icon gear is right up this guy's alley and he won't wear it I think that says a lot.

Which I'm fairly new to motorcycles and Icon might make gear just as good or better than Teknic, Dainese, or whatever. But I'm not going to test it out myself so I'm going to stick with what I know is good and that is Teknic.

Damn I just thought of an example about hte quality of Icon vs others. I was looking at back protecters and saw the Icon spine protecter. Then saw a Dainese spine protector. The guy at Cyclegear told me not to get the Icon one. He demostrated why. He grabbed the Icon back protector and bent it backwards in a position I don't want my back going in if I wreck. Then I tried the Dainese and I couldn't get it to bend back. That is the difference you pay.

Icon is fine if it's all you can afford or I'll go out on a limb and say if you want something for bike night or just a night out on the town where you want some protection but don't want to be in a $1000 One Peice.

Either way someone who buys Icon gear(No matter how flashy or not) is far superior to the countless bikes you'll see in the summer with shorts and a t-shirt and no helmet even in some states.