Thread: Tire balancing
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
There's no need to read up on it.

They're not magic beads. They can't search out a spot in your tire that needs weight. If anything they will spread out evenly throughout the tire and make it the exact same as before.
Centrifugal force dictates this.

If you think they work for you, peace of mind is all that matters.

But, scientifically speaking, they don't make any sense.

Your heaviest spot on your tire will be thrown out the hardest by the forces being applied. The beads, if anything, would go to that spot and amplify the effect.
I heard some good reviews about the Dyna beads, but so far no one has been able to answer the one question I have about them, which is:

How do you know they're working? Is it just by "feel"?

Also, this blurb from their website makes no sense to me:

Can I put the tire on a balancer to see if it's working?

No. Dyna Beads operates on physics principles, and requires the tire assembly to be in motion against a road surface to detect the exact counterbalance position. An electronic balancer has a solid, fixed mount, and does not allow the tire to react to imbalance.

Ok. I balanced and installed more tires than I can count, back when I owned a shop. Ballpark- maybe close to 1000. I don't claim to be an expert on all things tire, but the highlighted statement is completely false. Obviously electronic balancers allow the tire to react to imbalance, since, well, that's what they fucking do.

I'm not saying they don't work, because frankly, I don't know. But it bothers me that there is no apparent way to test them, or compare them to traditional balancing, other than the "seat of the pants" method.

JC