View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Multiplied by the 5 bikes I have, that's about 600 clams to drop on oil filters, that I have to clean.

I've been running HIFLOWFILTRO's on all my bikes for about the last ten years. They're TUV approved.

TUV, is the German testing agency for all things automotive. Basically, if you want to run any aftermarket part in Germany, it has to be TUV approved. Getting a TUV approval, is notoriously difficult. You have to jump through some major hoops. The K&N filters for bikes, are actually made by HIFLOW.

As far as the math goes, what's your time worth? I'd have to guess you're looking at an hour or so, to get the stainless filter 100% clean?

For my applications, an $8.00, 10 micron filter that I don't have to fuck with, beats a $125.00, 30 micron filter hands down.

JC

I'm kinda with you on this... I'm lazy and would probably "forget" to clean the damn thing...

I fully understand the arguments presented here but;

1. I change my oil frequently and doubt that it gets dirty enough to cause the problems presented.

2. I'm not convinced that a few small pieces of paper are a serious threat to my engine.

3. Millions of engines run billions of miles on "paper filters" without problems. This sounds like a lot of hype and fear tactics to sell $100+ filters.

4. One of my biggest fears is that the aluminum threads decide to get stuck on the steel mount...ever have a stuck oil filter? I wonder if it is harder to remove with the engine hot.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote