View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #49
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I'm too anal about my bikes, to do anything in 5-10 minutes.

A question about solvents; What are you using, and what effect does its ingredients have on your oil?

My filter supply is usually about 6 deep, per bike. It's a 90 minute round trip to "town", so I hoard bike supplies.

JC
We use Jizer quite often. It's a kerosene based water soluble degreaser. I fill a bucket with it and another with water. I dunk our cruise diesel particulate filters in it, swish em around and toss them in the water. They're spotless in seconds. They get another swish in the water, dried off with compressed air and then reassembled.

Most oil has fuel in it anyway. There's a really easy way to test for it. We use a Kittiwake machine (http://www.kittiwake.com/). But, when I started the job we used to use a ball bearing test. You fill a test tube with old oil, and one with new oil. You drop a ball bearing in and time it. If the old oil allows the bearing to fall faster, it has fuel contamination, any slower and it's carbon/solids build up. The only problem was, what if it's contaminated from both? Which is why we use the new system.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote