View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #128
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Thanks for taking my questions seriously guys. My dog is healthy and happy but I want the best for him, of course. I won't lie. I work 6 days a week and barely ever cook/prepare food for myself. I don't think that I have either the time nor the inclination for this type of feeding.

As far as "in the wild" goes, I've seen wild dogs/wolves/coyotes...yea, I rather have my dog look much better than that.

As I've said, I've seen hundreds of ranting reviews for Dynabite. I might try that. My dog's only "problem" is shedding.
Excessive shedding could definitely be a sign of poor nutrition but of course all dogs shed some. A lot of us perceive our dog as healthy, because that is the status quo, when they're really not. For example, a lot of people think their Rottweiler or Boxer, etc, has genetic hip dysplasia and nothing can be done, when in fact it is their body failing after years of eating shit food and worthless supplements.

Even very well meaning, intelligent dog owners, who really care about their pets fall into this trap that "dog food" is what dogs eat and that's pretty much it. Because that's the way its always been for us, and because the dog food industry sponsors pretty much EVERYTHING pet related from your local Vet, to dogs shows to agility trials and so on. So its integrated into us...but even the most expensive dog foods fall short of providing the kind of nutrition a dog needs to be as healthy as they are meant to be.

Likewise, most Vets absolutely shun raw diets as dangerous, risky, inadequate, etc. etc., and of course in turn recommend that you buy a 50lb bag of Science Diet and some supplements like "Missing Link" or "Dynabite." Then they'll want you to come back for teeth cleaning, check-ups, and regular sick visits. Money in their pocket, but all completely unnecessary for a dog on a raw diet.

The first time I saw my Vet with my dogs he asked me how I kept them so healthy, as he said even my 8 year old was in perfect shape, teeth superclean, all that. I told him raw diet, and he was apprehensive at first....but I finally sold him on it during our last visit last month. I told him I've never brushed my dogs teeth, and he couldn't get over how white they were. He's going to put his Pit/Rott mix on a raw diet now as well. .....but don't tell Pedigree, or they might pull their sponsorship!

There is no way my Boxer could tow 200lbs over 8 miles at 15mph if he was eating kibble, I know that for a fact.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote