View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #38
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Very valid point on the diminishing rate of return the more you spend - the continued tool analogy is a good one, and maybe that $80 RK is the 'Craftsman' chain.

I can also see a 2-1 front/rear swap being fine, especially if you're not running the chain to the ragged edge (I don't either, and generally swap it once I start to see any kinking). Not like a little faster (maybe negligible) rate-of-wear is going to be a catastrophe, especially on a small/lightly-ridden street bike. I guess my mindset is just that since there's always SOME wear, it should be changed always (and I've read/heard that point several times, I think mostly from chain/sprocket mfgs - go figure ).
I did know a guy years ago who went down pretty hard due to a nearly-new snapped chain, though I wasn't with him at the time - supposedly it wasn't at the master-link & the pin just shattered. Never had a problem with one myself - but I do consider it a 'critical component' since a failure could potentially hurt/kill you & probably would give zero warning & why I advised to be a bit paranoid of the least-expensive ones out there.

Lon - I'm not so fond of 'arguing', but I like a good discussion/debate too as long as they stay friendly. Sorry if I sometimes come off as arrogant or know-it-all in expressing my opinions in writing, I don't mean to & I don't think that my opinions/views are the only 'right' ones (hardly!).

Last edited by Kerry_129; 01-14-2011 at 06:43 PM..
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote