View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
That is the stock chain off the TLR with about 10k miles on it. Adjusted correctly, lubed all the time. I wasn't hammering it, just cruising at 50 mph. It let go right behind the master link.

Its pretty mangled because it got caught in the swingarm and cush locking the rear tire.

What's your point? I still have never seen a chain break nor have I had one break on me. You say that it was maintained and stock...so what's that got to do with anything after market? That's most likely a DID chain, I've read that a lot of stock chains are only 6-7000 lbs tensile. Also, maybe the chain was worn out/overstretched? Maybe it was too tight? Maybe you used a pressure washer to clean your bike and water got pushed past the seal? Maybe stock chains are continuous link, made at the chain factory and shipped as a unit which would eliminate the master link... Regardless, I never said that it's impossible for a chain to break, I said that I have never seen it. Also it seems that Suzuki had had problems with chains and TLRs a decade ago if I'm not mistaken... As someone that has spent a good part of his life doing mechanical service, my BS radar goes off immediately whenever a customer claims to have done "everything right" but yet they still have a premature breakage.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote