View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #76
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I switched from an 02 VTX1800 to an 06 FZ1 last year...because I want to ride like an asshole!!

Not really, but I did want a bike that was more capable in the twisties and still comfortable enough to ride all day. After riding a few years and improving the suspension on the VTX to get all I could out of it, I found that when I got in a groove I could ride that bike at about 98% of what it could do in the curves. I was replacing the pegs once a year and some days I was grinding hard points on roads I knew really well and knew I had that 2% left. But it didn't take long for my sense of preservation to overcome the adrenaline and decide I needed a bike that I could ride at a "spirited" clip with plenty of "bike" leftover for that "oh shit" moment that was bound to come sometime. In all honesty, I've hardly pushed the FZ1 (3k miles since I got it) faster than I rode the VTX on my favorite roads around here and I can tell I'm hardly making the bike work. I'm sure as I get used to the bike (and get a rear shock for my fat ass) I'll pick the pace up some but I really don't like to ride stupid fast on the street. I hope I don't get to where I try to reach the capabilities of this bike on the street because I don't think I have the reflexes to keep up with it now. I do want to rock a trackday first chance I get though and really play with the FZ, I know I'll have a blast!
man, even the punisher could ride that bike at 98% of what its got. The FZ1 looks good on you, much more suited to your abilities. I've been looking at the FZ8, and really love it, I wish I had more money, or I would consider it myself, again if I actually had money. I would love to find a mid sized above 600 and bellow 1000cc faired upright standard, something more comforatble than my 10 year old CBR.