View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
It's the "just guessing" part that bothers me.

I ran my own shop for several years, and I can't tell you how many guys would show up with a bike that was pronounced D.O.A by a dealership, only to find out that I could have it running in two days.

The thing is, a lot of shops don't want to fuck with old bikes. Partly, because they don't think you're going to want (or be able to) spend what it will take to fix the thing at a shop rate of $45.00 an hour or more. The other reason? They're lazy, and it's a hell of a lot easier to do brake jobs and oil changes, than it is to actually fix something. Profit, of course, also figures into this equation.

So, back to your bike- Lack of compression is caused one or two reasons (or a combination of one and two) bad rings or bad valves.

The first thing I would ask, would be the results of the compression test. What's the spec compression supposed to be, vs. was the reading was? If it's within 25% of where it's supposed to be, that's usually just normal wear.

Bad rings, as previously noted, is not too big of a deal, unless the cylinders are so far gone that they need to be re-bored. Unfortunately, there's no way to know that without tearing it down, inspecting for pits, and mic-ing the bore to see if it falls within spec. You probably don't have a micrometer that will do that, but a local machine shop could do the measuring for you, for not much dough.

Checking the valves is actually relatively simple. Pull the heads off, and yank the camshafts. All the valves are now, or should be, in the closed position. Place the head on a bench and level it with the combustion chambers upward. Fill the chambers with alcohol. Go to bed. Wake up, and see if the alcohol is still there. Yes? Good. No? Bad. 50% of the valve issues I've dealt with, were caused by carbon build up (caused by putting around at low RPM's). Simply cleaning up the valves and the seats will cure this. If the valves still leak after cleaning, you have bigger issues.

So, all that said, it's easy for some of us to just say "Hey man just, blah, blah,blah" because it's easy for us. It may not be easy for you, I don't know where your skill/comfort level lies, so that's something you obviously have to judge for yourself.

For what it's worth, the symptoms you descried sound more like carb issues (i.e, clogged pilot jets or out of sync) than compression issues, but without knowing the numbers, I can't say either way.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on this thing?

JC
They are like $57 an hour for labor.

There were 3,600 miles on it. Yes.... there is no other zero after that.

I thought it was carbs when I brought it in, but when we talked on the phone he said it had almost no compression and it wouldn't start. Since I had my car thing today I didnt get to talk to him to get actual compression figures. As far as the "old bike" thing, this is a used bike dealership, and they buy classic bikes on a regular basis. I am good friends with the owner so I can go in the back shop area where customers cant. They have tons of classic bikes, mostly cruisers, that they can suppliment their stock with if they get too low on new cruisers and sportbikes. So they do work on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Best post I've ever seen from you JC... you should post more on topic content...
Because this is a motorcycle topic in a motorcycle forum. Its crazy when we actually start talking about the reason that brings us here....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote