Thread: $447 bil
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Your education was all private / home schooling, then?

From a quick google search, the Department of Education budget is about $46 billion. Department of Defense, not including the wars, $680 billion. Where is this "more money" that we've been giving teachers? Possibly on a pallet flying to Iraq?
Unfortunately I was government educated. My father was military and stationed in DC. Expensive housing and shit pay never got us much in that part of the country. I also got the added benefit of seeing my father 6months out of the year while he was on TDY, during peace time. I bet teachers get to see their kids all the time.

I on the other hand will never let my children go to a government school. For what many spend on a car payment I can send my kids to the best private schools. Most prefer a new bitchin ride (or motorcycle) and give a big "fuck you" to their kid's futures.

Also for your numbers. I don't doubt them one bit. But you are also forgetting how much the states and local governments spend on education. I doubt the states send much to the DOD.
This is for Georgia
http://app.doe.k12.ga.us/ows-bin/owa...prev_order=asc

The state spent a total of roughly 6.2billion dollars. The local also spent roughly 6.2billion. For the sake of argument let's just say they spent 12billion total per state (some states will be more and others less). Multiply 12billion x 50 and that equals roughly 600billion dollars spent on education just from the states.

So education gets $650billion total with help from local, state, and federal governments. The DOD only gets their money from the federal government.