View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #51
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I'm curious as to what happens if you miss the clutchless upshift? I mean, what if you don't preload the shifter enough? What if you preload it too much? What if you don't roll off the throttle enough? What if you roll too much? Neutral? Grinding? Upshift two gears? Stay in the same gear?

I'm too settled in my clutch ways not to use it. The nanosecond I lose by using the clutch I'll make up on the next curve. Anyway, I like to upshift at my bike's torque peak. How many riders know their bike's torque peak?
If you miss the shift and/or don't preload the shifter enough, it just won't shift, and you'll hit the revlimiter.

If you preload too much, it may click into the next gear before you mean for it to... and doing clutchless upshifts without rolling off the throttle a hair may be not great for your tranny.

It may not be sensible/necessary for your bike if you're already used to it, and especially if your shift points are far below your redline.

For me and my bike, I clutchless upshift because if I clutched my shifts at the rpm where I do them (literally at the redline) not only would the shifts be slower, but I'd probably be nailing the revlimiter pretty often as I pull the clutch in.

The torque peak of my bike requires you to rip all the way through the meat of the torque curve and past the peak, such that your upshift causes the next gear to land right back in the meat of the torque curve...
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote