View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Here's how it works. The insides of the throttle-side barend are threaded, with a collar in the center. When you twist the bar end toward yourself (like opening the throttle), the inner collar moves closer to your throttle tube and puts pressure on it, holding your throttle in place. Twist the barend the other way, and the collar retracts back. The right & left side barends look identical on the outside. They're also super heavy, completely eliminating any bar vibes.

While the lock is engaged, you can still turn your throttle, it's just harder to turn. This makes emergency stops possible. It also makes slight throttle tweaks possible, so you can adjust your speed while you cruise.

You can't twist your throttle and the barened together, or you'll be full throttle by the time you get it locked. What I do is reach over with my left hand and hold the throttle in place. Then, with my right hand, I twist the barend. Disengaging the lock is a one-handed operation. You can roll the barend and throttle forward together, or just roll the barend forward and let the throttle close on its own.

The Throttlemeister is VERY solid and VERY smooth to actuate. You really do get your money's worth (and I'm a cheap bastard).
Nice work explaining it.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote