View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #35
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
First off, SHit! how did i miss this thread... and DLIT, I am so sorry.

I am going to take a WAG (wild-assed guess) about the cause of the crash.

You said that in the transition from left to right the front end just "went away"; without more details it's just a guess, but bikes like the R1 (short wheelbase, little rake, short trail) can do a little "pogo" type thing where when you've popped from full lean to full lean side-to-side the suspension unweights for a second at the top of the transition.... a lot of it has to do with if you are trail braking or on throttle and in that photo, it appears that the direction of travel is slightly downhill which also contributes to the unweighting on the front.

Just guessing without more data. But I've lost the front in similar situations on bikes i was familiar with, on roads I "Knew".
Not a bad guess. I wasn't trail braking. I just use my lean to scrub speed off if need be. But you could be right. I still think I should've felt some feedback. I was already leaning right. Who knows. Important thing is I'm here still. I'll proly never ride street again. I don't have fun unless I'm hauling ass, but I can't risk getting that lucky again. My gear and a metric fuck ton of luck saved my ass.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote