View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
On all (older) bikes I've worked on, the wheel has to be pushed toward the front of the bike in order for the chain to be slack. That way the chain can be slipped over the sprocket. And it has to put on the same way, with the chain slack so it can slip over the sprocket. Then the chain has to be tightened and the wheel aligned.

My friend's single-sided VFR is the the only type that I know of where the chain doesn't move. I'm calling BS on the mechanic's "they also said when you take the tire off, the tire goes back by default where it was before" statement unless someone can show me that the newer bikes do go back by default.
Chain still moves on the viffers. There's a sprocket type nut that you put a special wrench on to tighten/loosen.

FSM's usually state to check/relube your chain every 250-300 miles. You're over due there. Most hooligans I see on the street have the sloppiest chains of all. WAY loose and you can see it bouncing around while theyre riding.

Hopefully this will teach you to start doing maintance work or pay the price of a mechanic. Bikes can be a lot more time consuming and more spending on than a vehicle.

Post some pics so we can actually see what you're seeing.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 04-02-2012 at 08:14 PM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote