View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
As stated before. ALWAYS turn off the engine if the light comes on. That light is NOT an oil level light. It is an oil pressure light. An engine can be really low on oil and still maintain oil pressure to what the sensor "thinks" is ok. My old engine in my vehicle had the light come on when we got it running from sitting for 5 years or so back when I was a kid. I didnt know that the rings would need to re-seat themselves and what not. Well coming home from school the light came on and I stopped. The damn engine was 3 quarts low and it only holds 4 quarts. Glad to say that engine lasted a long time before I retired it.
I need to be ultra vigilant with the 500. With it sitting for almost 2 years, and the douchebag dealer telling me I had warped rings because it was pushing out low compression. (It was not btw). I now have put about 150 miles on her in the last week, since spring has come early here in Ohio. Before riding she was full of new oil. I'll need to watch the level at the 200, 350, and 500 mile marks. At 500 they should be broken back in and I'll probably change and put fresh in.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote