View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT
Default Early April cross country jaunt

It's time to do something I've wanted to do for a while.

I've already done a few Iron Butt certified rides, have the certificates and the license plate frames to prove it.

I like challenges. I've ridden in 50 states on motorcycles, 49 of them on my Hayabusa. I've been as far north as you can possible go in the United States. Next challenge please.

Next up is the 50CC. Jacksonville, Florida to San Diego, California in 50 hours or less. I'm anticipating 46 hours with a hotel stop for the night in the middle.

I've equipped the BMW over the winter for serious long distance duty, so it's time to shake her down.

For the bike:

Added highway pegs to the heads (gotta love Boxer motors!)
Cee Bailey windscreen (2.5" longer, moves airflow up away from my helmet)
Hella Micro DE Xenon-HID lamps mounted on RT-P brackets
Smart LED battery charging indicator
Hardwired/mounted heated gear controllers
Hardwired GPS
Accessory 12v socket to glove box for phone/whatever charging

For me:

Warm'n'Safe heated gear
new lid (Schuberth C3)
Sena SMH10 comm system

Somebody is going to say "Why would you do that? Hurry across the country like that. Stop and smell the roses." I've stopped and smelled the roses, and I've seen the country, in greater depths on my motorcycle than probably most on this board. 71,000 miles on my Hayabusa is a testament to that.

This is just something I want to do, I actually have vacation time to kill this year, so it's on.

I depart OKC a week from today for Jacksonville. I'll be sure to post a link to the Spot Tracker if y'all are interested in watching.