View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #26
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Currently the MSF Basic course is the default basic riding course. Harley-Davidson has its own program that's based on the MSF curriculum (Rider's Edge) and you get to learn on the Buell Blast. It's usually more expensive than an MSF course.

MSF courses all cost differently varying from states to states. Some states subsidize the fees, some don't. Some states will fully recognize the MSF certificate (yes, you have to pass the course to get the certificate) in such that you get your cert and you go down to the Motor Vehicle Department and they waive written exam and riding test. Some states only partially recognize the MSF cert and waive the riding test, but you still have to take the written exam.

Motorcycles are included, as is usually a helmet. Gloves, etc., are more of a local MSF deal.

The class isn't as easy as you think. The classroom work is easy but the riding is tough because they make you learn how to ride very slowly. Any idiot can get on and twist the throttle to go fast in a straight line. When you have to manipulate the clutch, throttle, front and rear brakes to move at walking pace and do U-turns and all that crap, it ain't that easy. That is not to say that the course is really tough because it's not. Neither is it a cake walk.

The MSF Basic course is but a beginner's introduction. There are other private companies that offer advanced riding courses ranging from advanced street riding (some ex-cop that does this whose name eludes me) to advanced roadracing/sport riding. Hell, there's even a wheelie school. And then there are books that you can learn and get really good tips from.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote