View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I think track riding is VERY useful in learning good skills for the street. You dont have to worry about the obstacles like animals, cars or bad roads and can focus on getting to know your machine and what it will or wont do with you on the back, proper braking both on pavement and off, and develop consistency in technique.

I think it is also invaluable in learning to avoid obstacles like fellow riders and "surprises" like folks pulling out in front of you, and unplanned for events like someone crashing. You have to react instantly and think ahead to avoid putting yourself in a position you cant get out of safely (like an unsafe pass) and these are great skills for the street.
I am not referring to beginners, you already know the basics. That's just it, you aren't getting those surprises on the track, so you don't know how to react to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontwo View Post
Are we talking about a brand new rider?
no, this is learning to ride well, not learning to ride.

What I am referring to is someone that is using the street to learn how to race. You can't learn to race well on the street, there is just no replacement for track time to learn to race.

Is the same true for street riding? Can you learn to ride well on the street by using track time? Or are you missing out on a major part of your learning by not getting those surprises?

Last edited by Trip; 07-06-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote