Thread: Ktm rc8r
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Check out the September 2012 issue of Sport Rider. They tested 8 Superbikes including the KTM. They tested them on the street and track. They must have used the Streets of Willow as the street test as the results for the track and street were basically the same.

Just looking at the dyno results, the KTM was the winner. For torque, it humiliated the 4-cylinders. Well, only between 2,500 and 10,000 RPM, but who rides there? The KTM was an incredible 20 foot-pounds above the R1 between 4,000-7,000 RPM. For comparison, a $500 exhaust is lucky to give 1-2 extra foot-pounds.

The testers loved the front end feed back and the nimble package. But, here's the killer thing for me. They said it vibrated everywhere. They also said it was underpowered (it only produced 145 HP) in this group.

They also said it might have won if the winner was chosen by fun-factor alone. If I could only have one bike at the price you were quoted, I would get a used BMW K1200S with the ESA. Fast, quick, great handling, comfortable, and the Electronic Suspension Adjustment is out of this world.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote