View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Geez.

I know this will sound horrible, but I wonder what would happen if we just left things alone. Like let all the drug cartels do their thing, unimpeded, and let the idiots who want to use go ahead and use, thus wiping themselves from the gene pool.

If we left them alone, innocents wouldnt be used as mules like that Mom, there wouldnt be any need to constantly hide from the government, and if it wasnt illegal, do you think people would eventually lose interest? Just pondering...
It will never happen this way because there is too much money available for collection by the government. If there is a national change in drug policy it will be full circle. I'm guessing licenses will be required for growers/manufacturers and sellers plus hefty fed, state, and local taxes on the sale of the product itself.

What would be funny (and I think at least as likely as not) would be our various governments putting so many taxes and fees on drugs that there remains a viable black market for them simply based on price. Even in the cheap states taxes account for around 80% of the price of a pack of cigarettes. In more expensive areas taxes are over 90% of the price. At what rate do you think those same governments will tax a dime bag of weed? How about a gram of coke? I think prices will be insanely high.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote