View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
acalliste
Canyon Carver

Moto: gsx-r750

I did a test ride on this bike at Daytona yesterday.

I am not sure of the actual seat height on it (or the Z1000 that I am going to compare it to), but it did feel a little taller to me. However, the Ninja feels much more plush than the Z1000, the suspension felt softer, and the bike felt like you were in it more, rather than on it. I could see that being a huge plus on a long trip.

Not to repeat myself, but the adjustable windscreen is awesome. Since it was really warm by the time it was my turn to ride, I was glad I had the option of lowering the windscreen. I've ridden bikes with full, upright windscreens before, and on a warm sunny day in Florida while wearing full gear, a windscreen that blocks the wind is like a trip to hell. So I set it on the lowest setting to ensure maximum access to the air while moving. If I had been riding that bike on my way to Daytona that morning (beginning at 5am), I would have had it up all the way.

The demo route was only on a few roads around the speedway and airport, about a 20-30 minute ride, but there were a few curves. The Ninja handled them all superbly. I could have railed the turns more than I did, but had to stay behind the ride leader and of course his goal was to get everyone back in one piece sans driving awards, so the pace was pretty tame. And since we saw a couple of bikes pulled over receiving their driving awards on the way, I completely understood that goal.

One thing I didn't like on the bike I rode was the rear brake. It barely felt like it slowed the bike down. The front brakes were great, but I had to mash down on the brake pedal with my heel just to see if there was really a rear brake at all. I don't use my rear brake that much, but when I want to use I'd like it to be there.

The power was great, at least as far as I was able to use it. Taking off from a stop, the power comes on smooth and I suspect if I could have played a little more I would have found more power. I believe my friend Tom (the guy behind me in the pic below) said the bike was a little buzzy at higher RPMs but I didn't rev it high enough I guess because I never experienced that.

Overall, I think this bike is a great sport-tourer. It is definitely in it's own category, not just a different Z1000. I could easily see owning both if money was no object. And if I were going to get serious about long, multi-state road trips, this would be the bike I would buy for it. Kawasaki hit a home-run with a bike that can hold its own with sportier bikes, while not torturing its rider in the process.

Last edited by acalliste; 10-17-2010 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: spell check
acalliste is offline   Reply With Quote