View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #16
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

I blame the camera.

Why is it that nearly every time some fucking yahoo puts a camera on his bike, he ends up on his lips?

I lived in LA for a long time, and split lanes on a daily basis. I actually preferred it to "normal" traffic, (less chance of taking a Buick up your ass that way). Yeah, obviously the van was in the wrong, but it's California for fuck sakes, you have to expect that shit. His speed may have been a tad high, but not so much that he couldn't have avoided that crash, if he didn't suck at lane splitting.

The key to lane splitting is to watch for gaps in the flow. If a gap opens up, there is a 99% chance that some impatient motherfucker is going to try to fill it with his car. Even if they do check their mirror first, there's still a good chance they aren't going to see you in time, because they're so goddamn desperate to make eight feet of progress in a twenty mile commute. When you see a gap opening up, that's the time you roll off the throttle slightly, and get ready to dynamite your brakes.

Lane splitting is serious business. It does not lend itself well to inattentiveness, and videos of how cool you are.

JC