Thread: Buell 1125CR
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #28
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

The 1125CR may not set the world on fire, but it's definitely a positive step forward. I just test rode one at the Cycle World motorcycle show in Long Beach. The demo ride was pathetic because it was conducted at grandma's pace. If this is Buell's idea of wowing the public, then it's a big FAIL!!! I barely got out of 2nd gear and went to 3rd just to see how the engine performs at very low RPM.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Brakes = suck! Sorry, but you can take your ZTL and shove it up where the sun don't shine. For god's sake, put a decent set of brakes on it already, Erik!!! Not enough feel and not too great for modulation. And the slack before the engagement is annoying as hell.

2. Lovely engine. Rough and very characterful, makes all sorts of mechanical ticking which I like but the Brit mags don't. Very torque and pulls cleanly. More oomph than the Aprilia liter V-twin for sure but then it does have a bigger engine. Revs quickly. Quicker than the tach needle shows, that's for sure.

3. OK chassis and suspension, I suppose, since that we barely even got over 60-MPH.

4. Red paint job is

5. Need MX handlebar for proper hooliganism instead of that crouched over Clubman handlebar.

6. Heat was not an issue at all even though the frame was warm.

7. How the heck do you get in and change the preload on that rear shock?

8. Pretty comfortable rearset position. No complains there.

9. Seems to be better made than the XB series.

In conclusion, assuming that reliability is decent, I'd recommend a buy.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote