View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I pressed on, and at the last minute decided to detour up to Toronto just to see the city. I thought about getting a hotel there and staying downtown, but opted to press on to Niagara.

After leaving Toronto, I headed along the lake and started looking for a hotel. I stopped at a Hampton Inn, but was told they only had one room available and it would be $159. I figured I can find a little hole in the wall place for less, so I kept riding. I passed a few places (although not really sure why) and continued on. I got to St. Catharines and the rain got extremely heavy. I stopped at a couple hotels, but they were booked. Finally stopped at a Holiday Inn Express. The room was $230, after tax!! I really considered finding a campground and sleeping in an already wet tent, but had been riding for 12 hours, it was dark, pouring rain, and I was tired. I said hell with it and paid for the room. That's what I get for not planning anything! Anyway, I figured I'd make use of the hotel room to dry out my camping gear.

After getting things dried out and getting a quick shower, I headed down to the hot tub for a soak. Got back up to the room about 10 and passed out. Slept for about 12 hours. Packed things up the next morning and got on the road to Niagara Falls about noon. Along the way, I just had to stop and take a picture for a song reference back to my high school days.

Got to Niagara and it was absolutely beautiful. There weren't any places to stop and take pics of the bike, but I stopped in a bus lane for a real quick picture. Had to hop right back on the bike cause I saw the bus coming down the road. You can barely see the American Falls in the background, but it's hard to tell if you don't know what you're looking at.

Parked the bike and visited the falls for a few hours. There is a barge that is trapped on the rocks, just upriver from the falls. I don't know the story on it and have no idea when it happened.

Here is a view of the mist coming up from the falls.

At the edge of the horseshoe falls.

Here you can see part of the horseshoe falls, with the american falls in the background.

View of the American Falls, and the bridge spanning the river between US and Canada.

Full view of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls.

Me with the Horseshoe Falls in the background

Closer pic of the American Falls

Paid about $15 to go behind the falls. It was definitely worth it.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 08-23-2010 at 03:10 PM..
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote