View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
For pure entertainment value, I typically prefer Strikeforce events to the UFC's. The UFC may keep things more relevant overall, but Strikeforce's (and even Dream's) fighters and match-making are often more exciting.

I credit this to their comparative lack of wrestlers.
I think UFC hit a point this past year where they had way too many fights. You can only have so many blockbuster fights before you have to put some mediocre boobs as the headliners. Frank Mir vs Mirko Crocop? Bispbing vs anyone? Really? Having so many cards just drained out the quality fights. I think the one (hopefully) good thing that came out of last year was UFC finally absorbing the rest of WEC. With few exceptions, WEC put on some of the best fight cards in the past year. If the UFC utilizes the bantam and featherweights right, they can start trimming the fat in the other divisions and really filling in solid cards and way less stinkers.

Right now, everything not UFC suffers from not getting enough exposure. Strikeforce cards are too few, and being on Showtime makes them all but invisible. Dream, K1, and Bellator are worse off, with no real exposure. K1 has had some great fights, but I only catch them after the fact on youtube/fight sites/the interwebs. I don't get Showtime, so the chances of seeing a Strikeforce event that doesn't hit the networks are rare. If the quality of the UFC fights continues to be mediocre, this year could be a huge year for any non-UFC event, but exposure will be key.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote