View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Day 7:

This day was a 500 mile day from Las Vegas, NV to Oakhurst, CA. This day can best be described as remote. Google maps didn't even want to map the route my Garmin took me on. I went through Pahrump, NV and up into Death Valley and took Wildrose/Trona/Trona Wildrose Road through Searles Valley and then 178 to 14 through Red Rock Canyon State Park to Mojave. From there I took 58 to Bakersfield and the normal route from there to Oakhurst. It was an interest ride through the desert and then a boring ride from Bakersfield.

This was not the initial choice for the route. I REALLY REALLY wanted to do Tioga Pass into Yosemite this day, but it was not open so I had to chose between this route and taking 395 up to Tahoe and SR88 or Highway 50 through the Sierras, these routes were 600+ miles to Yosemite and the weather across was looking iffy, which led to me taking the southern route. I am still pissed I didn't get to do Tioga....

The ride from Vegas to Pahrump was uneventful. I felt like I was starting to get a sinus infection and was feeling really bad and stopped in Pahrump and got some Dayquil and Nyquil. These saved me. The Dayquil pepped me up for the day and I used the Nyquil at night and got myself back to 100% near the Redwood Forest later in the trip.

Pahrump through Death Valley was great. The desert was awesome. It was only 80 degrees for my trip through. Perfect temperatures and awesome scenery. All the people that told me not to go through can kiss my ass, I loved every minute in Death Valley. The dips in the road were fun.

This was also my first taste of annoying gas fill ups. California's stupid heavy vapor things on the gas pumps annoy the shit out of me.

After the Valley, I felt like I was in a horror movie and was waiting for some strange desert locals to come out and get me. LOL! Trona/Wildrose route was interesting to say the least. After I got into Bakersfield and from there, I did not have a good time. I was in the part of California I did not like, it was boring and I wish freakin Tioga Pass was open or I had taken the northern route.... I pulled into Oakhurst for the night and I have to say the little town, although touristy, was nice. I ate at a decent BBQ place and that made things better. Took some Nyquil and dreamed of hitting Yosemite in the morning.

Ride into Death Valley:

Death Valley:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 06-11-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote