View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evadd View Post
i'm suprised by some of the responses here.

jeans are sufficient only if you enjoy the excruciating pain of having hundreds of tiny pieces of them scrubbed out of raw flesh in the ER. if you're lucky, you'll be unconscious. if you're not, the 4mg of morphine you'll get will do little to make you happy with your decision to not protect your legs.

Timberlands (or any other similar boot) are sufficient only if you don't mind having your ankle shattered. yes, the leather will protect from most of the rash, but as you tumble down the pavement for 4 seconds, remember you'll be limping for months (if not permanently).

mesh jackets are the absolute bare minimum - i don't recommend them, and haven't worn one in several years. even in summertime in Miami, i rode in ventilated leather. i would trust myself in modern moto-specific textiles, as they are made pretty well.

we all know someone who'll say "i crashed in jeans and sneakers and i was fine!" no, you were an idiot who got lucky. next time you might not be. it's so not worth the risk.

story of a friend of mine on another forum i help admin:
yes... full motorcycle gear is much better... any safety equipment regardless of it's nature is gonna be better at what it was designed for than it's day to day counterpart.

that being said... the truth is not everyone is gonna wear a full leather suit. it's too inconvenient... too expensive... and in many places... too hot. so we all sacrifices in safety for convenience, price, and comfort.

am I saying Jeans are fine for all types of riding... no. but I wear jeans when I ride in town. I know... if I go down they're gonna shred and tear extremely quickly... but it's a choice I'm comfortable with... and I ride accordingly. I also have Alpine Star knee Armor that I wear under my jeans to protect from impacts... so really all I'll be getting is rash and embarrassment when I have a scar on my ass cheek...

if I'm out riding... just to ride... I'll throw on my textile or leather pants with armor under. but for in town... jeans are enough for me.

as for boots... again motorcycle boots with ankle protection will be better... and will survive a more serious crash... but any over the ankle boot will be better than a pair of puma running shoes... if you do go with something not motorcycle specific... I'd suggest getting something with a thinsulate liner (to keep your feet warm in the winter) and a steel toe. just more protection.

I personally wear my Alpine Star SMX4 boots 90% of the time I ride... with the 10% being when I'm riding to work in which i wear my combat boots...

I ALWAYS wear my leather Alpine Star jacket... Full face helmet... and full gauntlet(meaning past the wrist) gloves... again Alpine Star GP Pro's... (Alpine star just fits me well... not pushing them... but they're a great company)

again... I'm not saying this is gonna be as good as motorcycle specific stuff... but it's better than a shorts and flip flops...

and it seems as though when talking to new riders... it's easier to sell them on buying a little bit of gear.. that will at least offer SOME protection... then telling them to buy full gear. in my experience... they look at the price for full gear and get turned off... yrmv...

personally I think if they're a first time motorcycle rider... the motorcycle purchase should automatically include a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. given as a single price with everything added in.

but then again... I don't see why anyone would not wear a helmet... yet people argue against that every day
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote