View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Common age?
All over the board....early twenties to fifties and everywhere in between. Gay. straight, mono, bi....doesn't seem to matter....all were of the same characteristics above.

The one overriding characteristic was the determination to RIDE. I think there are a LOT of women out there that I'll never see that rode a bit and dropped it and gave up...didn't have the desire to succeed that these women do.

I don't so much as direct them what to do as I do ask A LOT of questions about there riding experiences good and bad, watch how they operate the bikes and then feed back to them both what I see and postulate as to what led to their crashing. We then analyze the fear response together and work out a plan to overcome the glitches that lead to the fear, which leads to the fall.

Let me reiterate; all the drops were at VERY low(walking) speeds or coming to a stop or starting out, but the effect on their riding was all-encompassing: all speeds, all conditions, all the time they lost confidence and riding became a harrowing and un-fun experience.

This whole summer has firmed up my belief that stepped or tiered licensing has merit. (There it is: now all the folks that bought 1000's as a first bike- it's your time to chime in about how full of crap I am).
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote