Thread: Oh, Ladies?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I'll be the first to admit I was nervous as hell when I started riding. Maybe the other ladies will agree with me...maybe they won't but I felt like EVERYONE was staring at me while I was learning to ride. I think people in cars (and bikes) are often curious about female riders and tend to gawk. I almost had one guy slam into a stopped car in the next lane over cause he was staring a couple weeks. ago. Now I just laugh but when learning, it made me very self contious. There really is nothing they can do about that but focus and practice.

Another thing that often makes women nervous, me included was whether I could pick my own bike up if needed. There is nothing more nerve racking than tiping over while out alone and not being able to pick it up. Or tipping over at a busy intersection and needing spectators to help you pick your bike up. Women that get into riding are often very independant and I hated the thought that I would need to stand there and beg for help to get my bike out of the way if I tipped (luckily never did on the street, just parking lots). Ask them if this is a fear they have and if that would like to learn to pick their bike up. Teach them the reverse technique were you use your butt to walk the bike back up. This may help build their confidence. There are great videos on youtube showing this technique. Practicing this on the grass shouldn't hurt the bike.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote