Thread: Oh, Ladies?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #20
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
You know, OTB I think you're onto something. I notice more and more on demos that women apologize up front for "holding up the line" or wanting to be in the back. I talk to them a bit to [if anything] calm their nerves, and explain if I move them in the line I won't move the bikes in the line as they are in that order for a reason. Very rarely do they actually hold up the line - or do they even show up on my radar as a leader.

Hokie touched on it too - women are very aware of being watched. Trying to assure a woman again and again at a trackday that instructors are there to work with you, not to watch and make fun of your riding.
I don't know if the feeling of being watched is the issue as much as the need to apologize. I find with many female riders this constant need to apologize for ANY mistakes. I find that self-deprecating humor on my part can dispel some of this.

By the same token, most of these women are professionally ACCOMPLISHED and well-educated. You can tell that they are used to doing what needs to be done, yet they are embarrassed about difficulties they may be having.

I have always explained that riding is counter-intuitive for most and that some of the skills they are learning are more UNlearning old habits;.... and that you can't know what you don't know...that's why they call it LEARNING,.... and that's what makes riding so FUN...the constant ability to keep learning throughout one's life, as long as you keep riding.....

For me, learning to ride has not been an event (THERE! Now I know how to ride!) rather, a lifelong journey.

But that's likely because I'm a slow learner, so take it all with a grain of salt.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote