View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
JoshuaTree
DILLIGAF?

Location: Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way
Moto: 1993 K75SA

< Borg Voice >
Mileage is irrelevant (to a BMW Motorcycle)
< / Borg Voice >

In large part, what you want to see in a used BMW motorcycle is the maintenance history. Either you believe the owner has maintained the bike, or he has documentation (i.e. service invoices) proving that the ANNUAL SERVICES have been done for a low mileage bike. The most important component for any ABS-equipped bike (regardless of manufacturer) is BRAKE FLUID CHANGES, usually annually.

The first year hexheads ('05-Current R-Series) had some unique challenges. They wouldn't be my first pick, but if you got a GREAT deal (i.e. > 20% BELOW 'book' value) AND you had maintenance history, take it knowing the issues (e.g. Final Drive maintenance without a proper drain/fill plug, wonky EWS rings, etc.).

Have the guy give you the VIN and have your local dealer pull a warranty filing history report (used to be called DCS Report, but it may have changed by now). See if there are any outstanding service bulletins and what warranty repairs were done, if any. If he's done any regular business with a given BMW dealer, go there (or call) and have them disclose the entire work history of the bike (i.e. ensure it hasn't been crashed and repaired to "like new" condition).

YMMV.

Now if your friend only wants a GS, I would advise him to either get a new F800GS or a used R1150GS or R1100GS. As long as you can either do the maintenance yourself (easy with the R1100-1150 generation bikes) or knows that he can afford the shop rates for an F800, he'll likely have a bike that will outlast his desire to own it.

Thus sayeth me.
JoshuaTree is offline   Reply With Quote