View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Did he get the S model or the naked? They're geared a bit differently. The naked has one less tooth...or is it the other way around? I have the S and have ridden a naked once.

If he's short, how big is he? Is he a lightweight? Some people say that the SV's suspension is shitty, but I've found that lightweight people, especially just starting out, do fine with the stock suspension. My ex put a gixxer rear shock on his and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two bikes, except that the gixxer shock made the rear sit just a little lower (I'm very short so I'm extremely sensitive to height differences ) He wasn't a true lightweight, but not a heavy guy...average I guess....but is an aggressive rider. He did fine with either set up, although he said he could tell only a small difference between the two shocks (gixxer vs stock).

I do suggest using a heavier fork oil. It's pretty simple to change out, just a little time consuming. Even with my lightweight I could tell a difference between stock oil weight and what I've got in there now and think it's worth doing. It's cheap front suspension help. Now I feel the front end is firmer over these rough washboards they call roads here.

A heavier person (as in ALOT heavier than I) may eventually need better suspension. Although I suppose it's possible that a firmer suspension can help give more confidence in the bike, like a short person lowering a bike so they can touch better (I don't like mine lowered and do just fine at stock, but I can barely touch).

A bike should be set up for the rider. If he feels it will help give him more confidence & help become a better rider, then go for it. For right now though, stock should be fine.

Oh yeah...I still have the gixxer shock I bought for my bike. I never had it installed since my weight and riding style couldn't tell a difference between my stock and the exes gixxer shock.

SV's make an excellent beginner's bike, IMHO. You can still get into trouble on them, but they're definitely more forgiving than other similar or bigger bikes. I've been totally happy with mine and will have her for another couple of years at least.

svrider.com has some excellent advice. But be careful of the die hard *you MUST do this to the bike* people. Everyone's different. Tell your friend to have fun, be safe, and do his own thing as far as mods.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace

Last edited by rogue; 12-19-2008 at 04:19 PM..
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote