View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
when you say not a big fan of those bikes... what do you mean? naked's? V-Twins?

I know when I rode cutty's SV after riding my ZZR... fuck that thing vibrated like crazy!
yeah they do. The P-Twin in the 650R is much smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Did he get the S model or the naked? They're geared a bit differently. The naked has one less tooth...or is it the other way around? I have the S and have ridden a naked once.

A bike should be set up for the rider. If he feels it will help give him more confidence & help become a better rider, then go for it. For right now though, stock should be fine.
The difference in ergoes between the naked and faired SV is pretty extreme. The naked bars are MUCH higher, and the pegs are a little lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
svrider.com has some excellent advice. But be careful of the die hard *you MUST do this to the bike* people. Everyone's different. Tell your friend to have fun, be safe, and do his own thing as far as mods.
Like Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
That is awesome about you're children. I was telling some friends to day that when I finally have kids, they will be exposed to all the mechanical mayhem they want.

Over the weekend for my birthday my friend and I just rode around Atlanta into the early morning. It was a great chance for him to feel the bike out on the highway and get used to everything without the intimating presence of traffic. We had a blast and are hoping that we get a good trip in when the weather clears up.

So far his main concern is exhaust, he thinks he has settled on the M4, and I am sure when the time comes he will dive into the suspension stuff too.
Don't try for a really long trip yet- and make sure you take a lot of breaks. The drone from slab riding hurts physically and mentally. Your mind starts to get lazy when everything is ticking along at 80+, and vibration and wind blast can really sap your energy. Plus it's far too easy to keep cruising when you hit an area with lower speed limits!

Oh yeah- I wouldn't spend too much on blingy mods yet- chances are still high he'll drop it, and that type of exhaust hits the ground fast.