View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
My son is 4 and we just started taking him to Tae Kwon Do classes. It's not my martial art of choice, but it's about all you can get around here for kids his age.

We have tried all the regular sports on him. Basketball, tee ball, soccer, hockey, etc. None of them ever really got his attention. The only thing he looked forward to at those sports was the snacks after the game. He's just like me in that aspect; never really took to organized team sports.

He loves Tae Kwon Do. He's eating that shit up. He asks if he can go, even when it's not a scheduled class day, and he's so proud when he gets a stripe for his belt, or moves up to the next belt color.

It's making a huge difference in his attention span, and his ability to stay on task. The benefits are far greater than physical prowess and it shows everywhere; not just in Tae Kwon Do class.

Hopefully, he sticks to it. It'll come in handy when he gets older.
Same with my son man, its awesome when they're passionate about martial arts!! Stick with the TKD for now and then when its available in your area you can move him up to a more effective art. TKD is a great base for lil' martial artists though. Also, if he gets a chance to compete do that too, it is MUCH better preparation for self defense than in-class training. Tournament competition has made my son want to do strength and conditioning to improve his performance, which is super cool to me.

Shameless video time, my son is in the red and black.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkiT2G2WxKA
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Last edited by Kaneman; 10-01-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote