Thread: Oh, Ladies?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #38
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
All got into trouble (in my opinion) because they chose, large, heavy bikes as first bikes. It wasn't that the they couldn't handle them, it's that they went from small and easy to handle bikes in 8 hrs of training to large, heavy bikes without the opportunity to build muscle groups and train their bodies in using leverage and balance rather than strength. I suggested that while they may have wanted to skip the "stepping-stone" bikes, they may have made it harder for themselves getting the "goal" bike as a first bike

I'll go into more detail as I have time, but just want some feedback into how it went for you and do you wish you'd done things differently?
Methinks your opinion is right.

I got out of the moto scene for nearly 15-years after 10-years of riding (but wasn't instructed properly - too kool for skool back then). Thankfully some wisdom seeped in and I decided to take the MSF basic course. Taught me a great many things I never learned the first ten years of riding.

Went out and bought me the BMW Rockster. The damn thing was tall (32" seat height) with high center of gravity AND a wet weight of around 600-lbs.

I was as careful as I could be and I dropped that mutha three times within the first week. Couldn't balance it because I wasn't used to the weight and the awkward handling of a bike that is much bigger and heavier than the 250 Nighthawk I rode in MSF course.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote