View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
really all MSF courses should be teaching the same material. the only diffrence SHOULD be the quality of the instruction.

take what they teach you and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE by yourself. in a big ass parking lot... well once you get your bike

also remember that they'll want you to have boots, jeans, long sleaves... preferbly a riding jacket, and full fingered gloves. A helmet is also required but most courses I've seen can provide that.

I'd say get your gear and ride in that... that way your learning in the gear you'll be wearing anyways...
All great advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
some states offer a riding school where they provide the bike and helmet for a reasonable fee. They train you in the basics,just like driver's ed except with bikes. It's been a long time but as I remember it the msf course doesn't deal in basic operation that much. Plus they definitely didn't provide bikes to ride or gear,again as I remember it. I don't know what your skill level is but if you need basic operation training you should go with a state run program first or get help from friends that already ride(like OSP!) before taking the MSF course.
In Florida, the state has no such school. It's all private schools, and they're not subsidized by the state (I know some states up north, the course if free, or dirt cheap, because the state funds it... no such luck here).

Additionally, as of July 1, 2008, state DMV offices will no longer be offering the testing to get your endorsement AND it's going to be a requirement to have your "M" endorsement in order to register a motorcycle... in short, this means EVERYONE will have to take the MSF class. So you may want to try to take the class as soon as possible before all the schools start to get flooded (also, you want to take it before the heat of Summer - heat exhaustion is no fun!)

In addition to the long sleeves, long pants, etc... start hydrating the day before (or two days before if it's hot) your class, and take a small cooler or insulated bag with bottled water, gatorade and some snacks with you (the school will probably provide water, but take some just in case... dehydration and hunger will affect your concentration)

As for schools in your area... go to http://www.msf-usa.org to find a class in your area.

And I'd recommend against having a friend or loved one coaching you before taking the class. MSF instructors actually prefer you coming in with NO skills than with some skills learned from a friend - that way they don't have to untrain any bad habits.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote