View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #59
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Riiiiight, cause dirt bikes have the magic bearings that withstand water pressure at 150 times the normal atmospheric pressure.

I completely forgot about that...

JC
Well after 100 washes our oldest dirtbike still has plenty of bearing grease left, so you can claim whatever you want.

Dirtbikes these days ARE built to withstand pressure washing unlike the bikes of your era.

Fork seals are the most common failing part, however I HARDLY would say it comes from pressure washing the forks. I mean, setting your compression low and hitting a BIG jump and landing hard will blow out your seals. Also forks these days come with multiple chambers for this very purpose, and my shocks have about 3 seals that particles will have to breach before really cause damage to valves or springs.

I don't worry about the oil because that's changed with every seal change. With the amount of riding we do(50 wks out of the year) we usually have to change the seals once a year. The only way to extend that is to either NOT ride, which will cause drying of the seals and they will deteriorate faster than if you had ridden, or ride the bike around in a field just to say it was ridden. Neither of which are fun.

You can talk all the science on paper you want, I KNOW from experience of 4 years of pressure washing it takes a LONG time for water to really wear out bearings and bushings, thankfully those are replaced when they need be. I do take exceptional care of my bikes because I tend to resell them often, but we have several we have kept for awhile all of which are tip top. General maintenance and a good wash actually extend the life of the parts because if we left the dirt on them, they would not last long.

So I'll take my chances with what works versus what doesn't.

Last edited by TYEster; 04-20-2011 at 08:06 AM..
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote