View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Then past my parents house and over to the NJturnpike state trooper barracks.

This was the point where I was trying to recalculate to see if I could pick up any more locations. I tried a number of different routes to pick up at least 1 location and get me back in time and none worked. Instead I went to my last location, another Frank Loyd Wright house.

Then back to the rally HQ. I had time but not that much time so I made sure I wasn't speeding, but kept moving and it brought me back with 8 minutes to spare.

I immediately notified the rallymaster that I made it back and didn't quite get arrested at the fist jail. Then organized all my stuff, filled out my rally book, double checked it, and went in for scoring. Scoring was easy and painless and took all of 5 minutes. The scorer took all my photos except the recruiting station which he had to ask the rallymaster for a judgement call (it was given to me). Awesome part was, is that every bonus I claimed was given to me. I didn't make any mistakes at all and left no points at the scoring table.

I finished in 5th place in the rookie class with 55,550 points. The high scoring rookie had 90,000, the low scorer that didn't DNF had 35,700, with the majority of rookie class riders having between 49,000 and 66,000. So pretty much it was a solid middle of the group score.

Overall I had a blast, rode 350+miles in 8 hours with a bunch of stops, and no accidents and only 1 close call where I had to emergency stop to prevent from hitting a woman who pulled out in front of me, saw me then slammed on the brakes in the middle of the road. I might have wagged the tail of the bike just a little bit on that one. Yes I am going to try and do this again, it was a great day, a little stressful, but I finished with a smile on my face.

Some of the things I learned: I'm too slow at bonus locations, some took 30 seconds, some took 5 minutes. I need to pay better attention to the GPS, I made 2 wrong turns that sent me down the wrong road. I could have done a better job routing. If i would have stayed in the center of the state and got more bonus with less miles and not done a big loop of south jersey I would have done much better. Ruled out heading north towards the industrial and populated areas because I wanted to avoid traffic which turned out not to be the case. Since most of the top scorers hit a few locations south (the three in trenton and my last 2 locations) but then went and did a northern route that seemed to be the correct route.