View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #19
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Their point is greediness no more. It is unequal punishment under the law. Then again what should you expect from a European government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I really wouldn't want to see this sort of penalty in North America, but what they're striving for is equitable punishment under the law. The fine is based on your net worth. It may be unequal punishment in absolute terms, but in relative terms it actually is equal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Bullshit!!! I want equal treatment period. If I get a speeding ticket and a non-working loser gets the same ticket, I don't want him getting a lighter fine. If I work my ass off and make $100,000 a year, it doesn't mean that I should pay more for a traffic ticket.

Some of you applaud this action now because the guy was worth $20,000,000 but how would you feel in court if they hit you with a $2,000 fine while letting the next guy off for $100? It's the same old deal, it sounds good to make the "rich" pay more (fine, taxes, etc) until someone decides that YOU are "rich".

Hell maybe parking tickets should be based on how much the car is worth.
Yeah, not too sure I would be thrilled with this system in the US, but I can definitely understand why they feel it's equitable. Hell, if I got a speeding ticket for 50 cents, it sure as hell would not be much of a deterrent. But if the ticket was $400, I'd be more apt to watch my speed.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote